Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Caveat Emptor....let the buyer beware.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jan 24, 2003.

1. My 'Damaged Fret' thread in Luthier's corner demonstrates what can happen if a buyer takes less trouble than he - in this case - should.

My new bass was handed over in my firm's car park (doesn't matter quite why) and I was too rushed to check the instrument properly and in the presence of their guy.

I missed the damage to fret 21 and took the bass inside. Only after he'd gone did I see it. Phone calls ensued and I thought the dealer had put his hand up for the damage. But he now says he can't prove it was actually caused whilst the bass was in is care.

Fair enough he offered me a full refund but wasn't prepared to get the bass fixed. I don't want a refund cos I love the bass - it's a killer.

This was a one-off deal on an ex-demo bass fixed through the manufacturer so there's no other bass to swap it with. The damage doesn't affect the playing and the bass is otherwise fine. The fret can be honed but the damage will always be there. The dealer and I have settled on a set of TIs as customer relatons.

But the moral of this tale, is always take the greatest care to inspect an instrument before taking it away.

:mad: John:mad:

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey there John, sorry to hear about that. But, look on the bright side, you still got the bass you wanted at the ex-demo deal - presumably significantly cheaper than it would have been? And, could you not replace the fret in question?

Or, better still, rip 'em all out and turn it into a fretless! :D :D

3. Hi Moley.

Yeh. Well, I began by looking for a demo TRB5II but they're just too much ££

My own silly fault on the BBG5S. £60 locally to get the fret done. It's too much.

Chers.

John

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    £60? Geez that's a lot for 1 fret.

5. The price does'nt matter if its the bass of your dreams.