1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cavity cover.

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by felixxx, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Few questions.
    Is aluminium cavity cover big improvement over the plastic one, or just cosmetic one? And if it is what exactly would I get with replacing it?
    Also, is single coil mod easy 'do it yourself' kind of job, or does it require a technician? I tried changing the angle and raising the poles in the bridge pickup and I really like the sound, so I am looking into going the full monty with this.
    Thanks

2. It is functional if connected to ground, which usually involves using copper shielding tape to extend the shielding in the cavity to the cover mounting area. The same functionality can be had by shielding the back of the standard plastic cover with copper shielding tape.

It is an intermediate-level DIY job provided that, (1) You can read wiring diagrams and schematics and translate them to your needs, and (2) You are handy with a low wattage soldering iron.

Ken...