1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cavity depths for J bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by splinterhead, Jun 26, 2007.

1. splinterhead

splinterhead

Jun 26, 2007
    Hello all,

This is my first build and I am simply trying to verify some details. I am making a j bass from a '63 Template that I purchased. The Template had notes written on it to route the neck pocket to 1/2" deep and the pickup cavity depths to 3/8" deep. I've done this and was just wanting some feedback/tips on these measurments. I had read about the "foam pad" under the pickups and I guess I got a little worried that they may not be deep enough.

Thanks for any clues,

splinterhead

2. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    3/8" sounds very shallow to me. I use 5/8" for both neck and pup routes....t

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    same for me - 5/8" is my standard depth

for some J-style pickups, you will need a deeper route than this to accommodate their 'stacked' coil depth

all the best,

R

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021