CBGB, NYC's home of R&R....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    curious how many people here have played CBGB? it feels so much like home to me. i dry heaved on that stage when i was 17 with a bottle of dewers in my hand, and (many many years later) still have the fortunate experience of playing there every 6 months or so. it looks and stinks like real rock and roll in that place, and i love it. i feel the history every time i walk through the doors.

anyone share my sentiments?

oh yeah, and by the way - we'll be playing there Saturday, May 29th at midnite if anyone feels like spending memorial day weekend in the big apple.

howz that for creative gig spam?
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Curses! That's after I head home to RI.

One of these days though, I will hit up one of your shows.... Provided I cab find a place to stay.
  3. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I played there once. We had the 7PM 45 minute set on a wed night. A really hot time slot..ya know

Anyway...It was a cool gig & the sound was very good. The tape from the board was great as well. I was just happy to play in a place that has as much history as CB's.

It was cool to play at the stone pony as well, for the same reason.
  4. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    CB's was the loudest show I ever played!! And good quality too!

5. My list of places to play in my lifetime:

1. CBGB

2. Whiskey-a-go-go

3. The roxy is still around, isn't it?

4. How could I forget, Chicago's House of Blues
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I used to play there with my old original band. I somehow doubt my cover band will play there, haha.
  7. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I used to sneak in while underage durring the 80s.

Gigged there several times.

One of the worst bathrooms on the continent. And I say that having been to hundreds of clubs all over....

But, I still love the place....
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes, yes it is
  9. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That is arguably the nicest club in the USA. The 9:30 in DC is up there too.
  10. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I did one show at CB's back five or six years ago -- it was great, even though our slot was 8pm on July 5. The trio I was in were all great friends and we brought a bunch of cronies down from CT with us. The band was on fire that night: we had an excellent stage sound, good tape from the board, cool sound crew. One of my favorite 3 gigs in my lifetime.....
  11. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    worse than the Trocadero, Philly or City Gardens, Trenton?
  12. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Definitely worse than the Trocadero......

These pics were from a random google search.

CB's 1

CB's 2

You be the judge. :)
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
  14. HooBass

May 27, 2003
    I played CB's circa '93. We were terrible (at least I think I was -- I couldn't hear myself properly). It was on a Sunday -- I think it was a "several bands come in and play / try out for an additional date" thingy.

It was a good experience, fun, and something to talk about. I even stepped in dog poo from that dog that was inside. I thought that was supposed to be good luck!

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    I've played it.

It's a must-do-once-in-a-musician's-lifetime thing.

The sound was better than I'd expected. The crowd was pretty receptive for an out-of-town not very edgy band.

All in all, I'm glad I did it once, but playing anywhere in the city is a whole different animal from what I'm used to (logistics, getting around, etc).
    Out here in the sticks, you pretty much can just park your van out back and load up. You can bring a monster rig and all 9 basses, merch table, and fog machine without having to stress about parking, loading, mvoing the car, walking a few blocks back to the club in shifts...etc.

Doing the city, we had to bring people to watch our cars and gear as they stood out front. I actually took a cab down from the 70's and loaded in the front door while he waited for the fare (and watched my gear) with my sister waiting rather than try to manage parking.

All that aside...if you get the chance or can arrange it...play CB-GBs...even just the audition night...get the t-shirt and take pictures.

I suppose if your on the West Coast, the Roxy or Whiskey will substitute somewhat...but nothing beats the CB-GB's aura.
  16. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Oh man, the TLA in Philly is way worse than the Troc!

CB's bathroom is disgusting but at least it has character! :D