1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CBMR retrofit options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bmorefoozler, Apr 18, 2010.

1. After reading about an offerring from one of talkbasses favorite bass cab companies gave me an idea.

Are there any particular cabs that would be good candidates for an Alphalite 6A CBMR and accomanying xover swap?

Emminence suggests a 500 hz xover point, and has a stock, 8 ohm unit. I suppose this means any two way cabinet with enough baffle space and good output below 600 HZ would likely benefit from a swap in-place of it's current horn.

Would it have to be an 8 ohm cabinet?
    Any suggestions that would be more or less plug and play?
    If you were to roll your own x-over, can you have a single 6 ohm mid with a 4 ohm woofer load?

An Avatar 2x12 seems like a candidate to me. Any better ideas?

2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Sorry I can't answer your questions, but where did you find a suggested crossover point of 500 Hz? That speaker resonates at 500 Hz and I've read here that a crossover should never be below 2X the resonant frequency. In contrast, the non-closed back Alphalite resonates at 125 Hz, so 500 Hz would be OK if what I've read is correct.