Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CBS buy-out??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savagelucy, Aug 3, 2002.

1. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    first of all i'm not sure id this belongs in "basses".

I've heard alot about the CBS buy-out of Fender and I have a few questions about it. When did it happen? And, Why do people hate (or maybe like) the post-CBS basses so much?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Jan 65 although many basses produced after this date were made from old parts and didnt have the CBS 'improvements' (ie block inlays on the Jazz, large headstock on the Strat..).

The accepted problem with CBS is that they cut corners to maximise profit.

CBS sold to Arbiter who actually made things worse. There was a management buy out in 80 something. Things started to get better when the American Standard series was introduced.

3. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    cool, now I'm starting to understand. But, is the only reason post-buy-out guitars/basses are held in such disregard only because of the corner-cutting, or id the have inferior sound and playbabiliy? I've heard that some of the 70s basses had a 3-bolt neck, are there more reasons like this?

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Leo Fender himself pioneered the 3 bolt approach but theres no margin for error (or so the story goes).

The late 70's instruments have tonnnes of lacquer on the neck which I personally dislike.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The problem was supposed to be consistency and building to tolerances. They're not held in disregard by everyone... while I like some pre-CBS Jazzes, my favorite is my 78 Jazz. It has a gap in the neck pocket and a 3 bolt neck. I set it up a couple of years ago when I got it and haven't had to do anything since. Plays like butter and is punchy as heck.

To a lesser degree you have the same thing with Gibson-era and pre-Gibson Tobiases. Much easier to find an excellent pre-Gibson but that doesn't mean some of the Gibson's weren't nice.

6. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i see, thanks for the info CS.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome. However if the general CBS thing is puttting you off a specific bass then try it. Like Brad said there are basses that were good.

8. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i don't think it would put me off buying one. i haven't played any vintage fenders (unfortunatley)but when i do, i hope the CBS thing wont put me off.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    While the CBS buyout occurred in early 1965, Leo actually stayed on as a consultant and built or oversaw the building of many of the instruments through 1966.

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I beleive the CBS basses are the ones that are generally very heavy- hard on the shoulder.