Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 31, 2000.

1. What is all this talk of pre CBS Fenders? Did the fine folks who bring us such quality television programming as 60 Minutes and Touched by an Angel take over Fender??
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    CBS bought out Leo Fender circa 1966.
    Leo & his co-horts(who were very, very few)could not keep up with demand, ya know(something called Rock 'n' Roll was in style). So, Fender sold out to CBS & mass production soon followed.
    Back in my early daze, musicians always talked about Pre-CBS Fenders; those early Fenders were, essentially, hand-made(like what the present day boutique shops are doin')& made from beginning to completion by "usually" ONE craftsman. I'll say this, my '64 Fender P-bass & '64 Bassman amp are built like a tank!
    CBS brought mass production & distribution to Fender. The problem? hourly employee was making the instruments on an assembly line. The PERSONAL touch(of a solitary craftsman)was, in effect, history.

Leo Fender vs. CBS? Personally, I would rather have THE OWNER of a small business make a product rather than a disgruntled employee of a large corporation.
    There's a hoagie shop analogy I usually bring up, but I won't bore ya any longer... ;)