CD Baby Question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Does anyone know if you can upload your album to CD Baby and set the price as "free" for download? I'm working on a project that I'd like to distribute for free to listeners, but I'd be willing to pay to get it posted in a better downloading experience than SoundCloud. Also, I'm willing to pay for it to be streamable on Spotify and Apple Music.

While giving away music may sound crazy, I'm looking at this release as something for exposure, more than anything.

2. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I'm not familiar with CD Baby, but have you looked at Bandcamp? Youtube's a pretty good way to get your music out there too.

getbent likes this.
  3. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    I've thought about it. Specifically, I want to get the album on Spotify.

4. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Looks like CD Baby will put your songs on Spotify, as well as a few other places:

Get on Spotify - How to Get Music on Spotify | CD Baby

I'd say get your music up on as many services as possible.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Columbia SC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Since CDBaby gets a piece of that download price, I think they'd be pretty disinclined to offer it for free.

6. whatizitman

whatizitman

Sep 9, 2014
    Apparently Spotify pays $.1, and CDBaby keeps 9% of that.

They have tiered album and song payment options, including a free option. I'm not sure how much this helps the average independent original band. But I could see it as part of an overall marketing and distribution approach. I think getting on the major streaming apps is a good goal, since that's where listeners are increasingly going for new music.

Anyone on TB use their services? Is it worth it?

EDIT: And no I don't think giving away music for free is crazy. Royalties are tiny, and it takes a lot of promotion, legal set up, and/or money to even get to the point where a royalty is a possibility. For the vast majority of hobby bands this is not really a viable option.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    BigLoopDuke likes this.
  7. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I haven't heard of people using CD Baby since the 90's.