Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cd burners for the comp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Dec 26, 2000.

1. i have about $280 to spend, and i am thinking of getting a cd burner for the comp. does anyone here have one? or know of any good brands. i think i would have to get a external one, would that make the quality any less or slower? thanks for your help.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Do you use Macintosh? MS Windows ? or Linux?

If you use Windows, I would recommend getting a Hewlett Packard Internal CD-Writer 9150 or 9510 Recorder if you dont have SCSI adapter, if you do have one the 9200 is just great (the one I own) . It is great, costs less than $220 and is very easy to use thanks to the software that is included.

For Linux, is easier if you get a SCSI one, since the EIDE /ATA models have to use a SCSI Emulation that takes more steps to configure. (Gotta use Kernel Modules and Lilo Settings)

I really recommend getting an Internal drive, it is faster than USB and Parallel, and even more reliable. Unless of course you get and External SCSI drive wich would have the same performance as the Internal.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I considered an external burner; here's what I was looking at-
    http://www.hpcdwriter.com
    It's a Hewlett-Packard, model #s are...
    1)8230e
    2)8220e

Personally, I think I'm gonna hold off & check out my bud's Phillips(...plugs into his stereo; he sez he's using it to convert his old records/tapes to cd-dom. Is that possible?).

4. heebs99

heebs99

Dec 3, 2000
    external drives are generally more expensive to purchase. i have a hp cd writer plus 9100 series, and it works great. id definatly recommend one to anyone. i dont know how much it costs because i got it for my bday, sorry =/

5. internal or external buy HP and nothing else!

6. i'm not the smartist person when it comes to comps. i use a Compaq Presario 5190, uses windows, not very old. but i am not sure when the cd burner reads "premium performance 12x write, 8x rewrite, and 32x read speeds." i dont really know what that means. and that is the 9600se.

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    "12x write" means it will put music onto a CD at 12 times the speed of the music, or in other words 1/12th the ime it would take to listen to the song.

"8x rewrite": Any CD burner can also write over the stuff it has already put onto a CD. But this requires a special (more expensive) type of CD, and those DON'T take music, just data.

"32x read": Never really undestood this, but the faster you get, the quicker software will run on it. Irrelevant for listening to music.

I would have said, "Save your money and DON'T get a Phillips", but they have beaten me to it by taking their computer CD burners off the market -- apparently since a lot of people had as much trouble getting theirs running as I did. They packaged it with some bad software.

You may have to spring for some decent software too.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was in the market earlier in the year. After checking burner prices I bought...

An HP 6640C computer:D

A complete 500 mhz/15 GB/Win 98 desktop system (minus monitor)including the HP CD Writer. $500. They'd be even less now.

9. armidex

armidex

Apr 28, 2000
    Australia, Sydney
    ive heard really good reviews bout plextor burners

i ve already got a burner so im not looking for a new one

but all my friends all tech ppl like the plextor ones
    they have like features like burn proof where it prevents buffer underuns which really piss u off
    but im not sure if theyre external ones are available

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes It is more than posible!!
    Thats because it works totally different than a CD-RW in a Computer.
    It will record straight audio from a Line souce, and that can be anything producing sound. The thing is , that It wont write anything else than music and with a lower quality, due to the fact that it is not a digital-digital copy but a Analog-Digital copy.

Forget about MP3CD´s (The future), audio/video cd´s, software cd´s, etc etc.

The computer should be a part of the home theater/home stereo.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well maybe some of you can help me.

I just got a Sony Internal EIDE burner. I'm almost positive that I hooked it up right. It came with two CD's, a CD-R and a CD-RW. I attempted to burn some music I had downloaded onto the CD-R, but it stopped about 4% through the burning. Next, I attempted to copy "Oregon Trail II" (Just for the heck of it to see if it would work) onto the CD-RW. It too, stopped after about 6%. What is the problem? Is there something wrong with my burner or is it something I'm doing or not doing??

BTW, I will NEVER purchase another Hewlett-Packard product. They have given me and my family nothing but pure trouble since day 1.

12. lol, oregon trail 2. i loved that game back in the day

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    lol yeah its great aint it:D

I may just have to pop it in later just for old times' sake.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'm not crazy about HP's customer service but when it comes to bang for the buck and in the case of printers and CD writers, they're tops IMO. I'd use something else if it made more sense but so far it doesn't.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    One of mine is;) I'm in the process of switching over from a 5 speaker stereo setup to surround sound. I send the audio from the computer to the receiver and send the video from an ATI All-In-Wonder board for games and DVD. It's actually a pretty inexpensive setup but sounds great. I run home stereo receivers on both of my computers and video to either a 27" with SVHS and RCA inputs or a 50" projection unit with the same and two tuner PIP.

Did I mention the surround sound setup with in wall speakers and sub... in my kitchen?:D the 13" TV sounds great.

I know...I have a problem;)

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    What software are you using to do the burn? Most times the problems arises when you attempt to burn at the fastest speed of the CD writer. Back the write speed down to 2x and enable the creation of a temp file on your hard disk, this may fix your problem. Always experiment with the CD R/W and when you've got it, go to the CDR.

I have a Philips audio burner that can't use computer CD blanks, after buying a spool of 25 blank audio CDR's I finally wised up(duh!) an bought 1 blank audio CD R/W which I can use over and over after I dupe on the computer to a computer CD blank, which I have tons of.

Phil

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thanks much Phil. I'll try that out AS SOON as I get more CD's.....that is UNLESS you can help me figure out WHY in the world that my computer locks up whenever I put the CD-RW disc back in? I put it in with intention of erasing it, but every time my computer locks up! Why?????

18. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Hunter, what kind of a computer do you have? I had a similar problem when I hooked up a Sony Spressa (USB) CDRW to my Compaq Presario running Windows 98. Turned out there was a driver conflict. About 90 mins with a Compaq tech to remove and reinstall all the drivers, scan and fix the registry and it worked fine. If you can get through, there techs are really helpful.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My CDRW is a Spressa as well (32x-4x-12x I beleive). I also have a Sony Computer, running Windows 95. I don't know what the problem is, but as usual, I figured out a way to erase. I have to start up my computer, do the erase, then restart. It's a pain, but I'm sure it's because my machine isn't fast enough (only 233mHz-my CDRW requires 400mHz). I finally got the CD-RW to erase, and once I backed the write speed down, it worked fine. Even worked at 8x!!