CD Damaged by Transcribing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by David Kaczorowski, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Yesterday I loaded the disc I'd been transcribing a solo from, skipped to the track, and began fast-forwarding to the solo when the CD player skipped from near the beginning to beyond where I left off. On subsequent attempts the CD player just stopped advancing at some arbitrary point(although the CD continued to spin.

Needless to say this has never happened before. The player fast-forwards and rewinds normally on other tracks on the same CD. The track I'm working plays normally it just doesn't fast-forward or rewind in the middle in this player (it does work in a different player). Has anyone ever experienced this? Can it be fixed? Using the other player isn't an option.

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've never had that happen before - although I normally 'digitise' the song and work on it via Transcribe! (which is much more convenient for homing in on a section until I nail it).

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's not the CD, it's the player - either the lens or the lens focus/transport.
    You can assist the player by cleaning the CD too, but it's definitely the player. Older models often act up like that, my 10-year-old Pioneer is like that too.

I reccommend transferring it on your computer and/or burning a copy.

You can even use Winamp with a loop plugin and a timestretch plugin as a transcription tool.
  4. It's only a couple of years old. My 12 year old Pioneer still works perfectly.

The thing about my problem is everything works ok with other CD's and on other tracks on the same CD, as if all the fast-forwarding and rewinding messed something up, but that's never happened before.
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is it still playing up in the same way today? Does the disk work on other players?

6. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Hey JMX, any place I could download such plugins ?
  7. It worked in other players. Strangely, the disc works now.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmnnn... worth watching out to see if it happens again. As far as I'm aware, CD players are stateless devices (they don't remember the last disk you put in there) and CDs should be unchanged by the power of the reading laser (and certainly not changed back by playing in a different machine)....

Maybe you just had a visitation of gremlins?