Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CD Player with adapter into Tape Drive. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Aug 27, 2004.

1. I have a tape player that is fairly new, Sony, and I was wondering of those CD Players, that come with the connection that you insert a cassette tape looking adapter into the stereo, actually work well? :confused: :help:

I appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks!

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I got one of those for my wife's Jetta wagon tape deck. They sound O.k., but don't expect anything special.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They sound fine if you're used to tapes.

brad cook

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're talking about sending a portable cd player's output into a car's cassette player through a cassette adapter, yes it works. It usually sounds better than cassettes.

BTW you can use those cassette adapters for anything with a similar output. For example you can plug a Korg PX4B in and play bass (and another instrument if you want) along with the built-in drums through a car stereo.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Which I often do in rush hour traffic. :p

brad cook

6. Hey, that sounds like good news to me. It will save me the expense of buying a new unit for my car, which isn't that old.

I guess the next logical question is, what would be a good brand to buy, . . . . . . . . .or are they all [for the most part] pretty equal in sound and quality nowadays?

Again, thanks!

By the way, the reason I ask is I have just recently gotten a handful of CDs, Rippingtons, Chick Corea, and Spyro Gyra. My CD player doesn't do the best copying onto tape, so I'd like to have the CD option for my car. :hyper:

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've had really cheap ones and they all seemed to work equally well. I'd say look at the cords and get one with the most solid looking cable. That's the part that might tend to short out first. They probably all sound pretty much the same but I'm guessing a quality one will last longer. They probably don't cost much.

brad cook

8. They do work, but they also run the risk of damaging the playback head...there should be a film across the contact head on the adapter. If there isn't, it'll scratch and eventually ruin the deck's head.

I think they sound fine. I had one in a GM deck where you load the tape awkward, and it pinched the wire lead...but that's a small issue.

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've had a Sony cassette adapter for almost a decade that I've used in several things with no ill effects... and the sound is pretty good.

Another option is the fm-transmitter types.

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    You lose some sound quality with the FM transmitters. I'd say go with the tape adapter. They work well enough.

11. why don't more in-car stereos have line-in input jacks on the front?
    it would eliminate the need for the cassette adaptors- especially needed now Ipods are around.

12. Interesting that you should say that. The stereo has the ability and functions setup for CD. I'm not sure how I'd hook up a CD player other than the cassette adaptor thing, though. :meh:

13. There are ins on the back of your headunit, for auxilliary devices Dave.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I agree with this. I wish I could plug my minidisc player into my CD unit. There actually aren't that many that have an 1/8" input but IMO that should be stanard.

brad cook

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Two words: Radio Shack

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

This is true. I mentioned it because a lot of people don't even know it's an option. If you have no cassette and no way to plug into a head unit, this is an option. Bottom line, it works well enough too. The best sound quality isn't always the biggest issue;)

When we did our NAMM road trip my son tranmitted MP3s from his laptop in the back of the van to the factory CD head unit.

17. I've seen adapters that connect to the tape heads. These will give you the fidelity of the tape head, which in most cars is poor. I've seen adapters that connect to FM radio antennaes. These will give you the fidelity of FM radio, which in most cars is poor. Of course, in my B.A. ride EVERYTHING is Cool-A-Riffic (becauee I hard wired straight into the factory head unit. Looks Like FoMoCo, sounds like heaven!