1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cd Players..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 30, 2016.

1. I have several, ranging from budget to mid-price.

Some are o.k., some sound like crap and I have to EQ the heck out of them to get half decent sound.

Was thinking about getting a new one.

Yes, they are still out there.

What's a good one for 'bang for the buck' without spending a fortune?

NAD?
    ROTEL?
    ONKYO?
    SONY?
    TASCAM?
    DENON?

others?

Prefer single disc player....

Munjibunga likes this.
  2. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

il_fullxfull.260380045.

3. That's very interesting...certainly a novel idea...what the heck are those plastic boxes with the band name on them called?

Just kidding.....haven't seen one of those around for a long time....:D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    slobake likes this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

All the brands listed above are good for CD players. If you have to EQ the heck out of them you may have a different problem in your sound system.

rapidfirerob and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  5. They are not in any one sound system. I spend a bit of time hooking different things up to different things to satisfy certain listening requirements.

Maybe some of the cd's themselves are self-destructing (planned obsolescence and all that stuff). I read somewhere they can go bad after a number of years possibly.

6. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Pre-dating MP3's I always got the Sony's with G-Shock technology. Really works!

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

CD players are digital, (on-off data). When a CD player goes bad it is usually with the disc mechanical transport or the laser will not track the CD properly. The symptoms can be skipping and or freezing up when playing a good CD disc.

8. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    @ZenG is right. CD's can go bad w/out even using them after x-amount of years. However, odds are CD Players used will break before the CD goes bad.

9. I get skipping once in awhile but no freeze-ups.
    I realize that not all cd's are created equal. Some are just crappy cheap pressings. Others display the crappy recording techniques from whence the song came originally.

If you put a bunch of cd's in a carousel changer, you notice the sound difference from cd to cd in terms of volume, clarity etc etc.

10. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Similarly I knew a guy with a movie carousel and he said he kept taking them out and back in but this one movie would jam up the whole thing.

Don't mind me asking, why still CD's? I have so many and only rip the ones I really am into. If it wasn't for getting rid of the covers and all the jewel cases long ago, I would be selling them to some vinyl store. Yes they still buy CD's; I even know one that has tapes and 8-tracks.

11. I have several systems set up around the house.

I have two rooms that I play bass in. One upstairs and one downstairs.

One room has computer and I go online and play to tracks on there. I also have cd in that room. I often just want the ease of not having to screw around on the computer.

Put in cd. Play along.

I use my Sony MP3 at times for play along. Again...ease of use. Just plug and play. Except that it's battery driven. So...always have to charge up. Which is disgusting because I am the Grand Poobah of Luddites.

I prefer to use equip that isn't linked to a computer if possible.

But modern phone and computer ideology is like sinking into quicksand. You can't get out and you're going deeper and deeper and there's no-one coming to save you.

I like cd's basically.

Let's all get together and help stamp out earbuds.

rapidfirerob likes this.
  12. fingerguy

fingerguy Banned

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    Uh huh...well as I say to my fiance...do you want to carry a bunch of CD's or would you prefer carrying around your phone with about 100 or more of your CD's on it?

13. I'm not the kind of person that walks around listening to devices much. Now and then I'll pack my MP3 player somewhere. I own a cellphone...but it's an emergency one and I can count the number of calls I made on it this year on three fingers.

I listen to tracks in my vehicle (cd) on occasion. (It will also take MP3).

Never sent a phone text message in my life.

Currently I just rip my cd tracks off my computer for my MP3.

Admittedly the internet is a great source of jam tracks, music, internet radio, music videos....the list goes on...
    Not all my cd players are going south. I still like to fire up the stereo and enjoy.

14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    This is news to me. I didn't know they still made CD players. When mine went south, I couldn't find a replacement. Just bought a DVD player and called it good.

15. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

You are supposed to have that in your Trans Am.

slobake likes this.
  16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I don't know what are good now, but we have a dual disk Denon CD player/burner that can also take a signal and turn it into a CD. That's how I have preserved some well worn vinyl. Well, not the vinyl itself. That's still around, but at least I have another disk that won't fall apart quite so thoroughly if I don't clean it and fuss with a needle enough.

17. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I can help with that:

IMG_0449.JPG

slobake likes this.
  18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Physical media? Why?

19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thrift stores are usually loaded with em for $9.99-19.99 ... top brands!

rmotoman and mapleglo like this.
  20. There's all kinds of new cd players around. Not so much in local stores but definitely online.

Best CD Player - Reviews - 2016

I read a lot of reviews...but I wanted to get TB'ers opinions as well..