1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CD production services

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Eric_71, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Eric_71

Eric_71

Jul 22, 2011
    MSP
    My band is finishing up recording for the first of our 5-6-song albums that we are recording. We plan to give away the music online as a zip file, but we have some people who will not be so internet-savvy and will want a physical CD.

I imagine we will probably only want to make 25-50 hard copies, so do you guys have any recommendations for vendors who can do that? We could burn them ourselves, but I think we would all prefer to have a company do it for us, provided it is not cost prohibitive.

Input is appreciated!

2. Hmm, yeah that's not very many copies - cost effective, for that few, I'd make my own CD-R copies.

3. for this type of product, I use IndyPendy.com

they are super friendly, easy to use, and CHEAP!

Their specials are really good, plus they always give you overruns for free.

I use them for small runs of tour exclusive CD's, and also just for small projects I do on the side when I want to distribute w/ artwork. quick shipping, too.

4. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    We use Discmakers.com

Check it out and realize that replication and duplication are two different things. Replication is from a glass master disc and always the same every time. Duplication like on your home computer is subject to errors.

5. Did you get them to do your mastering too? How about artwork? Actually, if you wouldn't mind, could you give a rundown of your cd plan from design to getting it printed? I'm in the final stages of getting a cd wrapped up and have never had one go to print (just digital stuff), so I want to get this right!

Thanks in advance!

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    We used Kunaki for short runs. They were fast. cheap and did a good job with layout and artwork.

For our full length album we used Oasis..great job.

7. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    No we did our own mastering....and it could have been better. We are seriously considering re-mixing/re-recording a few bits and paying an outside company to do mastering before ordering the next batch of CD's. If you can afford it I would highly recommend professional mastering.

My guitar player has a studio and we recorded there. My avatar is shot during that recording session. All tracks and mixing were done by us. One of the things we did that kept us on task was to set our CD release date and make it public while we were just finishing up recording the last few songs. Working backwards from there, we developed a detailed project timeline as to when we had to have the artwork and everything completed which included the production time and shipping time for the CD hard copies. Include a photo session if you plan on putting fresh pics on your album artwork. Make sure to include in your timeline the process of getting everything set on I-Tunes/CDBaby/Amazon....etc. for download purchases. Have it done the same time as your hardcopy release. Make sure to include your CD release party prep and promo tasks in the timeline. Divide up the work and assign tasks.

Apply for your copyright. We did it as a complete work instead of individual songs. Easier and cheaper. Get this done in advance so you can note it on the CD artwork.

You probably already know you have several options as far as packaging. We went with the standard plastic case with a front cover, inside front cover, back cover and a spine. And the CD itself. So that's a lot of artwork to decide how to fill. If you've ever done a band T-shirt you know how long and hard it can be to get agreement on a simple design. Multiply that several times over with the CD. Give yourself plenty of time to go back and forth to get consensus. We also decided to introduce a new T with our first album so that work was also included in the whole thing too.

My guitar player did the upload so I don't have a lot of details on it but it should be well documented on the website....I believe it's uploaded as WAV files. I can find out more info if you need it.

Those are the main things I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously there are lots more details than I can put down here. Hopefully helps you a bit.

8. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Always send out for mastering it is worth every cent.

9. Thanks very much for the insight! We set a rough timeline, but that all went to hell (for reasons both preventable and unavoidable). We're getting on track now and are nearing the finish line. I kind of take control of the back end stuff as otherwise it's not too likely to happen, so the logistics of the art and physical production is more or less up to me.

Where did you apply for the copyright? Did you sign up for the extra services like a barcode, CD Baby/iTunes distribution, etc.? Did you guys produce your own artwork, or did you get discmakers, or some other third party to do it?

Thanks again! This is all very helpful.

10. Runnerman

Mar 14, 2011
    You apply for copyright at copyright.gov
    I checked the site and you can apply but they are not processing applications right now due the government shutdown.

We did do the barcode and we were already on CDBaby for our website (hostbaby) and I think they set us up on some other places automatically. They give you a nice widget for your site that makes it super easy for people to buy the music. ITunes, I think you need to set up separately but don't quote me.

We did our own artwork and uploaded it. Front was a design with the CD/band name. That was the hardest piece. Inside was a band pic and various thanks. CD itself is very simple...straight black with standard and stylized fonts. Back cover was a cool photo with track list, barcode, website and copyright info. Pretty straightforward.

11. second for kunaki, you can have 50 of them shipped to your door for around 100 dollars.

12. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Why Oasis on that next one?

13. I would guess due to the fact that kunaki is extremely limited in options. mainly you have 1 option. it's how they keep the costs so cheap.

14. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yes. We wanted glass CD's not duplicated copy ones. We also got shrink wrap /barcode and Itunes etc. Kunaki is great for a small run or first CD out but Oasis does the job like any CD you would find in a record store.