Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cd recording: PC vs component

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 14, 2002.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    I am having this debate with the guitar player in my band regarding recording from cd to cd using a cd burner on a pc vs a cd burner in a stereo component rack..

he swears there is lower qaulity recording obtained from a pc burner compared to a bunrer that is part of a stereo system (like a phillips)...

I was under the impression that digital is digital, and it should be the same in both cases...

also, he swears there is a loss of qaulity from generation to generation, but again, I thought this isnt the case with digital...

anyone have any input??

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If the source is analog, the component, with dedicated hi-fi audio circuits, will absolutely blow away the sound card. Unless you're talking a true pro audio sound card, in which case all bets are off. Mass media sound cards like the "Sound Blaster" family have poor analog to digital conversion and analog signal paths compared to a dedicated audio unit. They are also susseptible to electrical interference int he critical analog audio path from the many other components in the computer.

If the source is digital there's no difference and no generational loss.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Another advantage is that you can use any CDR on a PC.
    Hifi burners often require "Audio CDRs" which are more expensive because of the included copyright fees.

You also have more possibilities in CD authoring on a PC, e.g. crossfading etc.

4. I was talking to the engineer at a session I just did and he mentioned that he always uses his HHB cd burner for recording masters as opposed to the cd burner on the computer. He said there is an audible difference between the two, with the HHB sounding much better and the computer CDs sounding thinner or with low freq loss. Recording at 1x likely introduces fewer digital errors as well.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And there are just as many engineArs who says 2x is the way to go... try it yourself, and notice the amazing difference between the two speeds! ;)

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Sounds like engineering voodoo to me...

7. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
    Did someone say there was an audio engineer who could HEAR the difference between PC based and Stand-alone recorded CDs?????

I record CDs on Fostex,HHB (same machine re branded) and Studer Stand alones in conjunction with a high speed duplicator and PC based systems at 24x - if someone says there is a marked difference they're either pushing the wrong buttons or jerking your chain.

I think the engineer needs to go back to digital audio 101010101010101 (sorry, bad pun).