Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CD Review Thread

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jul 21, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I got an idea,instead of making a thread everytime someone wants to review a cd,how 'bout this becomes like the thread where you review cds.It doesnt have to be a cd you just bought,it can be any cd youve heard,whether you love it,hate it,just review it.No posts unless they review a cd. No comments on what someone thinks of a cd.Ill start...

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I really liked this cd. All b-sides,covers,rarities,studio tracks,etc...really great drum work. It sounds like usual Get up kids. I recommend it to anyone that likes them or wants to get into them. Has 17 songs also.

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Agent Orange-Living in Darkness

Some great stuff here, sounds like great old school punk. If you took old Misfits and The Circle Jerks and put them together, you'd have Agent Orange, defintiely recomended for any Old school punk fan. 16 tracks, most of them Excelent!

4. The Cars - Panorama

Good, fun, pop rock.

5. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Green Day, Shennanigans awsome cd...:D

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    MILLENCOLIN-PENNYBRIDGE PIONEERS

14 tracks

In my opinion they could not have done much more to this album, very good. Lyrics on the CD are great. The instrumental is not technical but it works for them. I normally would not listen to this genre of music but it has made its way into my CD case (which is a great honor because it only holds 10)

Overall this CD gets a 4 out of 5.

8. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I can't beleive this thread has so little responses, this is a very good idea too...

9. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Alien Ant Farm-Anthology

13 tracks

This is good music. It brings bass out to the mainstream kids. I love the "Smooth Criminal" cover. I like the instrumental these guys show that they have knowledge of their instruments. I believe there is some upright bass played on "Movies" upright bass on a mainstream record is rare let alone a single. This CD was in my CD case until stepmother threw it out the window of the car due to repeated Jackson screams.

Overall: 4 out of 5.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    reviews need some more work...

11. Jeff Buckley -
    Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk

When Jeff died, he was in the middle of making a double album called 'My Sweetheart The Drunk'. He died before he could finish it, but what he did create before his death is on this album, 'Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk'. Im totally blown away by this album! Im enjoying it even more then 'Grace' so far. The first CD is mostly finished songs, while the songs on the second CD are a little more raw. I find it a lot more epic then 'Grace', the album has everything from hard rock, to hypnotic improvs with droning basses, to ballads, to gospel, punk, jazz, everything. And I still believe that Jeff was one of the greatest singers and guitarists in the history of popular music. This unfinished, blueprint for an album has more emotion then any other album I've ever heard. If only we could have heard the real album...
    Jim

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've boughten alot of cds recently...

Poison The Well-the opposite of december

I really liked this cd. I've never been much into hardcore but i really liked this cd. Alot of double pedalling which is always cool. I could barely hear the bass in any of the songs, oh well...Guitar work was great. Alot of melodic riffs over drop-d power chords. i give it a 5 out of 5. There wasnt one song I didnt like.

Minor Threat- Complete Discography

After hearing so much about this cd, and hearing 2 songs I had to get it. So far, I dont like it that much. I guess I would've appreciated more back in the day when this stuff was unheard of. Now its kinda boring cuz all the songs sound the same. Good lyrics, but very repetitive music. There was a few songs that stuck to me (straight edge, minor threat, in my eyes) but the rest didnt stand out at all. Just my opinion...

Thrice- illusion of safety

Havent listened the whole way through but I like what ive heard so far. Their lead guitarist sure can play. The pop-punk verses are kind of boring and repetitive but the hardcore parts are great. No amazing bass playing here though. I'd reccomend this but only if you have extra $.

Glassjaw-worship and tribute

I didnt know what to expect cuz i only heard one of theyre songs before I bought this but I was pleasantly suprised. People call this emocore but i think its much more than that. Bass player has a great tone and plays lots of cool parts during breaks. Not as much screaming as I expected. Every song is good.

Theres alot more cds i could write about but these old hands are getting tired...

13. Tricky- Maxinquay

A very good album that brings out some new dimensions to music. I like the unique textures and the rythmic vocals. Sometimes the music can be tedious to listen to but most of the tracks are audibly pleasing. 8 out 10

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    Rolling Stone only gave it 2 stars

New Found Glory- Sticks & Stones

"Understatement"(1st track) starts out with the classic "emo punk" (or whatever you want to call it) sound and it doesn't stop until the last song "The Story So Far"

Most of the songs lyricly are about failed relationships. Except "Sonny" which seems to express the pain of losing someone...i can't tell if they mean from death or just getting dumped)

Either way, its still a great CD, some people might think Jordan's voice gets annoying but it doesn't bother me. Mark Hoppus plays bass on "Something I Call Personality"

Once again NFG prove why they are one of the best Emo bands out there...IMO

bp13