Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CD-Rs vs. Music CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Casey C., Aug 6, 2001.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    i think this is supposed to go here :D

whats the difference between the two? do music cd-rs play on those cd players that won't play the regular cd-rs?

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think the diference is that on CD-Rs you can record both data and music; and on Music CD-Rs only music.........

Maybe you can´t play Music CD-Rs on CD-ROM players, don´t know!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think consumer standalone CD recorders can only read audio CDRs because they read an identifier on the CDRs, but that doesn't matter on a computer.
    CD players usually can read any CDR if the player is not too old. I've never had problems even with cheap CDRs.

The only real difference is that the price Audio CDRs contains a share that goes to the music copyright companies, like it does with audio cassettes.
    Anyway, it only depends on the quality of the CDRs and your cdrom and cd burner if you can burn good audio cds.
    The quality of CDRs is not per se determined by the label audio CDR or data CDR. It's the manufacturing quality that matters.

Bottom line: You usually can burn audio on any CDR with a PC, just use good and not too cheap data CDRs, audio CDRs are not necessary.

4. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    d'oh!

hehe anyways, that which you mentioned about the old cdplayers is kinda untrue.... i have a dvd player and a 3 disc stereo (both sony) that do not even read the CD-R and they are not older than 3 yrs old. i think my dvd player is about 1 yr old and the cd player is 3.

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have a cheap Sony Discman, no probs, even with the cheapest CDRs. Perhaps the ripper/software/burner combination is not too great...

6. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    also my cd player/boombox that i have that is about 5-7 yrs old plays any cd-rs but it needs cleaned

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    even my 10 year old cd player can play 50 cent CD-Rs. You have to close the ****in CD, dumbass!!!

just kidding :D

...but its true.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've found that the white Memorex ones play in anything. they are not specifically made for audio, which means nothing anyway, but they have a good background for reflection. I've yet to find the player that will not play them. What JMX said IS true- in general, the newer the player the better your odds of having the cdr work.

9. I got 50 Vivistar white CD-R's for £20. I think that's around 50 cents each.

they play okay in any CD player (eg. my ancient Hitachi player from about 1988 or so), BUT you sometimes get crackling on the first and last audio tracks, and sometimes tracks in the middle of the CD won't play unless you shuffle from earlier tracks.

so I'm sticking to TDK CDR74 from now on for audio.

10. I've yet to find a player that won't play my super super cheap CDR's from CompUSA. Waited until they had a 100 for $12 special. Went there everyday for the week of the sale. Makes great cheap demo's. As cheap as cassettes.

I use NTI CD maker PRO. Easy/good program. CD-RW's are a different story.

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. 5not4

5not4

Sep 7, 2000
    Flint, MI
    Go to www.fadden.com and check out the CD-Recordable FAQ.

There are many, many questions answered and it's updated regularly.

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I haven't had any problem recording on or playing recorded data CDs on any of my players (car, boombox, stereo, computer), but my guitarist has. You do have to make sure that you close the CD session, or it may only play in your computer. Also, as was already stated, there seem to be exceptions and limitations based upon the age of your computer, your recording software and/or your playing device.

I personally use MusicMatch 5.1 for recording MP3s to disc and Adaptec's Easy CD Creator 4 for burning my duplicates and data.