Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cd-rw drive help please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Sep 9, 2003.

1. ok, i have a phillips cdrw drive and its been working fine for about a year, but all of a sudden it just quit. it will not read or write cds, anytime i try to access the drive i get "drive not ready" i know the cables and all are correct, and it is getting power because it will open and close and lights come on, but other than that its dead. i had an A+ certification class last year (cpu repair stuff) in school and i went through all the usual stuff but i cannont find anything wrong. please dont tell me i need a new drive :help:

2. YOU NEED A NEW DRIVE!

Well, actually I don't know :meh: I'll ask my friends ;)

3. Yeah, most likely.

Last time I opened up my computer I almost sh*ted myself.

4. **** **** **** ****

geez this sucks, at this rate ill never get a new bass :(

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    jumping on the "you need a new drive" bandwagon

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    If youb have to replace, prob be a good idea to repalaceit with a DVD RW drive.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Is it still under warranty? If so they should replace it for free assuming the drive is a goner.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah i want one of those DVD-RW drives plus a TV tunning card to record stuff... then burn to DVD... then watch on DVD player :D

that will be my christmas plan* :ninja:

*plus a good 3D Video Card

10. Go for the DVD-RW then burn the DT DVD for me and send it over :):)

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Before junking the drive, try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it. You didn't install any new hardware did you? If so, you could have a resource conflict.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, not sure about this, but I run Windows XP at home, and have a couple of issues lately! Firstly, I couldn't access a particular bass forum - one day I could then the next I couldn't.

I also noticed the other day that my CD-R/W drive is playing silly buggers too.

The only connection I can find is that I had just downloaded Windows XP updates!. This happens semi-regularly - the PC tells you new updates are available, so I install them!

Anyway, did this - couldn't access one particular forum. Everything else was fine. Next set of updates - accessing the forum was OK, but CD drive playing silly buggers.......at one point the PC came up with 'found new hardware'. I had went to the website to download the latest driver for it, but before I did anything, I switched the PC off then on again - bingo it worked this time!

Don't know it this helps, or if it just counts as a rant......anyway, hope you get your drive fixed!

13. Could it be a dirty laser? I am not familiar with the repair of computer cd roms but i am familiar with CD players and DVD players. Often getting a cotton bud and polishing the lens is sufficient.

:D:D

Merls

14. ok, i know its not an IRQ conflict because i havent installed ANYTHING since i last used it to burn a cd. also, im running windows 98 SE with all the latest updates. i will however reinstall the driver, perhaps that will help. thanks guys

15. maybe the drive just needs a good cleaning, go to walgreens or something and buy those cd player/ dvd cleaner cd's.

16. Huh??:confused: I've been running XP since it came out and I've never had that problem...

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    BEFORE YOU BUY A NEW DRIVE are you using the software that came with your burner? Last night I was having the same problem, and I talked to the Phillips people and they were very nice and we discovered I needed to reinstall the burning software that came with it because the program I was using for some reason didn't detect my drive.

If you are using the same software, you need a new drive.

18. oh yeah, i thought of the exact problem. its not that it wont read or write, its that it wont detect that there is a cd in the drive. it detects the drive under "My Computer" and all, but when i try to explore the disc in the drive it acts as if theres no disc. whats even stranger about this is that my shelf stereo 3 cd changer has been doing this lately too. :( :confused: :confused: :confused:

19. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    This sounds familiar. I think the problem we had was a bad bios chip and wasn't to expensive to fix.( You also may want to try reinstalling the os, as a last effort.)