Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CD sales share

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mzungu, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Hi,

I joined a band about a year ago that had self-produced two CDs of original material before I came on board. We are a trio that plays Americana/folk stuff. We are all in our late 30s and 40s with professional day jobs, but we are all pretty dedicated to the group too. I'm new to the being in a band and gigging thing. We've played a few gigs for the exposure and haven't made any money for playing, but my bandmates have sold several of their CDs at the shows and they've never offered me any money from the sales. Am I entitled to at least a few bucks from the CD sales at shows? I didn't participate in the CDs or invest in their production so I don't expect, or want, an even split or anything just enough thrown my way to maybe cover my gas money. As I see it people bought the CDs because they heard the band play and I was up there helping to sell the CDs for the band by playing bass. I haven't asked, but should I? I go home with nothing in my pocket while they take home some extra cash from the sales.

2. I may be wrongheaded here, but here's my take: If they've already sold enough CD's to cover the printing and production, then at this point they're just making profit off them, and you should get your cut, seeing as you're helping to sell the discs. If they haven't yet made it into the black, then it's only a matter of time before you should be seeing your cut. It's unfair to work for free while they take home a few extra bucks.

3. Right - that answers my query too then - my bandmate and me recorded 2 albums and he sells copies at his elvis gigs for sometimes £10 a time...I only played the bass, he did the drums/guitar/vocals/keyboards - should I start harassing him for money?

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    You were on the recording? Then you should get a cut.

5. You are certainly entitled to a share of the profits from whoever comes in and pays at the door as well as your fair share of drink tickets/guestlist tix per show. ;)

6. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    It seems like you would have no share in the CD at all. If you guys cut another CD and you wrote/recorded songs on there, then you would be entitled. The guys who wrote/recorded but are no longer in the band are the ones getting shafted!