1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CD Sticker-er

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kuchar, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I didn't know exactly where to ask this, but I know that there is some sort of .. "do it yourself-put cool looking stickers on burnt cds" device. I was just wondering, since we got a pretty big gig coming up if anyone would point me in the right direction to making our demos look cool without spending a lot of money T_T

thanks

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    you could try using lightscribe cd's, but then you woul need a lightscribe burner in your computer. you could try asking around to see if someone you know has one in the computer. it's pretty cool, it burns the image on top of the cd, instead of inking or having to use labels that come off.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    There are online deals where you can get 100-200 CD's for like $2 - $4 a pop, including printed CD and artwork, all shrink-wrapped in a jewell case.

I think Musicians Friend has one of those deals.

4. You need to get decent 8.5" x 11" CD label stock and a CD label stomper. Any shop that carries supplies for computer or office needs should carry them.

5. another vote for lightscribe--I like how these look

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pasting printed labels on CDs is a very bad idea. The printing itself is very expensive (assuming an inkjet printer), the paper label can cause problems with the CD spinning in some devices, and who knows what happens with the label in 5, 10 years time? What happens when it flakes off?

Lightscribe or using a service is a much better solution.

7. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    then they buy an album ^^

but thanks for all the suggestions guys, I dunno what im going to do now T_T

8. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    -1000 for stick-on labels. I won't allow CDs with them on in any of my CD players anymore since I had a near disaster with one coming off in the CD drive. Plus they can cause imbalance in the CD which leads to playing problems such as skipping and that's the last thing you want on a demo or CD you're selling to fans at shows.

You're best bet is printable CDs and an inkjet printer that can print on them.

I don't know about the US but here in the UK printable CDs only work out a couple of pennies more per CD than normal ones if you buy a reputable brand (and you'll want to do that for audio CDs anyway). A decent inkjet printer such has one from the Canon Pixma range is well under £100 here and I guess it will be even better value in the US.

This method is only really good if you don't plan to print more than 10-20 at a go. If you are looking at quantities of 100+ then you're better off finding a company to do this for you. Once again there are lots of these in the UK all competing on price so a good deal is reasonably easy to find.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

9. Lightscribe is cool, but, the CDs are expensive (relativley) and it is also pretty slow.

Id go with printable CD-Rs, if you have a printer that can print them.

10. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Philbiker's advice is worth taking seriously, from my experience. I have a fairly expensive Sony DVD/CD player that has trouble with most CDs and DVDs with paper labels. And a friend of mine works in the service department of a Dodge dealership. Apparently CDs with paper labels frequently get stuck in the stock Dodge/Chrysler cd players, and if I remember correctly, to fix it, they have to take out the unit, and it costs a ridiculous amount of money. This is according to him, at least, I don't know firsthand.

Seems like something to avoid...

11. Properly applied, quality CD labels won't affect CD performance. And if it's a CDR to begin with, it shouldn't be expected to be a permanent source. CDRs are notoriously fickle, and there's only so much life you can get out of them unless you use top-of-the-line CDR media and store them under ideal conditions, handle them with obsessive care, etc. You can't treat them like regular manufactured CDs. Even playing a CDR once in certain vehicle dashboard CD players will degrade the information stored on it (I believe this has to do with the heat in there). They should not be considered safe for long-term archiving of anything (data, music, etc.). It's kind of expected that music distributed on CDR will be copied to the purchaser's hard drive for safekeeping.