CD's/Bands you wished more people knew about

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gandhirrea, Nov 13, 2005.

Only one self-titled CD released in 1974 before they became Goblin.

They are absolutely amazing! I can't listen to them without pitching a tent. In the spirit of Yes but not exactly similar.

C'mon people; do yourselves a favor: LISTEN.
  2. jacob fred jazz oddysey--live at the knitting factory
    Howard Luedtke and Blue Max--face to face with the blues
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Off the top of my head Comus and Gentle Giant. Rather overlooked in the prog world (as far as classic rock radio is concerned, they are non exsistant)... Comus even named an Opeth album "My Arms, Your Hearse" is a lyric from a Comus song.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    United by Sound(
    Kill Kill Orchestra(

all of them are friend's bands, they all have good things going for them, and I want them to be popular and famous. Particularly oedipus and UBS. Kill Kill is fun, but I don't believe any of them are really hoping to be stars, the others though, their music is their lives.
  5. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    People, go buy Comus, now. You will not regret it.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    To my credit, I gave Page a link to Oedipus and he seemed to like them.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and The Secret Cheifs 3 aren't mentioned as often as I feel they should.
    All the kids playing bass today don't even know who he is, when he was pretty much the most influential bassist ever. I've tried telling people about him and getting them to listen is like pulling teeth. They hear the word JAZZ, and instantly dismiss him as "just some good bassist". They piss me off.
    I think any time a kid buys a bass, it should come pre-packaged with Jaco's first album as mandatory listening for a new bass player..
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You cannot be serious? Everyone and their mother knows about him.
  9. i don't really like jaco. i don't get all the hype over him. say what you want, i think he's kinda boring.

i wish more people knew about mcgill/manring/stevens. they released two of the greatest fusion albums ever. i guess most people here know about them, but they are good enough to be a commonly known band. i hope they record another album....+/- was a classic.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I take it you saw these two are touring the west coast together, eh?
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Really? I had no idea. That is a incredible bill.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Makes a man wish... he was on the west coast.
  13. im looking into Comus.

answered all my questions. (correct me if i'm wrong)

only 2 CD's (both in the complete collection)

Streaming Sample near the bottom
  14. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Univers Zero
    Skeleton Key
    National Health
    Hatfield & The North
    Back Door
    Happy The Man
    Mr Bungle
    Deus Ex Machina
    Raymond Scott
    Tonto's Expanding Headband
    Forever Einstein
  15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Late 70s'/early 80's musical group out of Boston called The Rings. Long gone, long defunct. Great talent wasted by the suits at MCA records.

Today you can enjoy the wonderful music of Jane Kelly Williams. She released a new album recently and it's as brilliant as her last, the virtually unknown but brilliant "Tapping the Wheel". Her fantastic new record is available at CD Baby.

My own brother Pat Hamm has a self-released and brilliant CD that you can listen to for free by clicking the "play" button on that web site. Buy it on Itunes or get the CD from CD Baby. I play bass on the song "Bad Virtual Soul". Pat plays bass very well himself on the other tracks.

A musician I've seen live and have one CD of is New York based folk slide guitarrist Pat Wictor. Great rootsy music, excellent songwriting, and tasty slide guitar playing.
  16. Jethro Tull
    Ron Sexsmith
    De mens
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm just glad I'm not alone in thinking Comus is absolutely amazing.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    On looking at my avatar, a lot of people haven't given "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles Giles and Fripp" a shot. And it is like one of the best psychedellic rock albums I've ever heard. It's jazzy, rocky, trippy, fun, funny, and there is a whole lot of talent in that band.
  19. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I've always thought that Blink 182 were underappreciated.