Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CD's sung in a foreign tongue.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I want to try to start a thread in we can suggest CD's that are very good, but not sung in English. I have two, and they are the BOMB! I got turned on to these about 3 or 4 years ago, so I'm gonna suggest them to you.
    1) "Made in the USA" - Pizacato Five. It's mostly in Japanese, but they are amazing!
    2) "The New Sound of the Venezuelan Gozadera" - Los Amigos Invisibles. This one is in Spanish. They kill!!
    I figure that good music comes across in ANY language. ;)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ladymith Black Mambazo does a LOT of stuff in..er...another language. From South Africa.

Cool stuff.

3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    The french band Magma sings in their own language called Kobaia. Pretty much anything by them is worth picking up. Creative writers plus fantastic musicians to boot.

There were alot of great progressive bands from Italy during the 70's like PFM and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I've plugged them here before, but since they fit the bill for this thread, once again, I implore everyone to check out Sigur Ros...

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Irish:
    Solas The Words That Remain (featuring great bass player Chico Huff)
    The Chieftains - too many albums to list!
    Afro Celt Sound System - Vol. 1 & 2

French:
    Stereolab Dots and Loops (or anything else)
    Zap Mama Seven or Afropea 1

Pakistani (qawwali):
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Michael Brook Night Song

Japanese:
    Joji Hirota The Gate ("classical" music)

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just downloaded a couple of PFM tracks. They are bad! I'm going to Tower Records today to try to find a CD on them. Thanks!

8. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Welcome. I recommend Jet Lag, Chocolate Kings,Per Un Amico, and World Became The World. The band may be listed as Premiata Forneria Marconi on some cd's. I've never been able to find their stuff in stores though so you may want to check out Amazon.

9. Check out "Zoolook" by Jean-Michel Jarre (FDM C-18 118) - features Laurie Anderson singing in 25 different languages, edited and transformed using different electronic devices.

Also, some of my favourite more recent recordings: "Rough Guide To Rai" (various artists); "Rai - The Gold Collection" (various); "Desert Roses & Arabian Rhythms" (various); "Magrouni" (from "Mantis" (Erik Truffaz), actually the whole CD is brilliant!)

- Wil

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's another vote for Magma.

I live in China last year and picked up a couple of CD's there. One is by a chick named Ding Wei. She's pretty good and has obvious Bjork and Tori Amos influence.

I also got a CD of a guy rapper who calls himself "MC Hotdog." :) It's pretty funny because he'll be rapping in Chinese and then end the verse by busting out with a "MFing BS." He likes to throw in american curse words for effect I guess.

Others I like are Ivo Papasov (Bulgarian wedding music...mostly instrumental but some songs have words) Cafe Tacuba and Buena Vista Social Club.

brad cook

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Anything by Eminem?

12. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    YES, they are awesome. Like and Icelandic Radiohead. They are awesome.

13. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    anything Rammstein....german metal.....its better if you don't know what they are saying, seriously. :rolleyes:

14. How has nobody mentioned Can with regards to the made-up language thing? Damo Suzuki was the man.

15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wizo is fun, mindless punk in German. I was turned on to Sigur Ros by another of DanGouge's posts. I'd also add most songs by Oasis. I know they're English, but I can hardly decipher anything that comes from thier mouths.

16. Pizzicato Five are awesome!! Some of the happiest music I've heard.

My personal faves are Zebda, a french political rap/reggae/Arabian music group that is some of the most danceable stuff I've ever heard.

Next up are Les Nubians, a french sister duo that's like Sade mixed with hip-hop and it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO goood!!!

EDIT: Also, I'm gonna add Shakira's spanish recordings. She sounds even better in her native language than she does in english! :eek: :eek: :eek:

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Dead Can Dance - I'm not sure how much of Lisa's singing is made-up language, and how much is "real" non-English. But, I don't care. ;) Whatever it is sounds soooooo good.

18. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Nemesis' "Nemesis" and "Abraxas" are really good -- kinda like a Hungarian Dream Theater. Their latest, "Eden?" is sung in English, though.

19. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

El Trio De Hoy Live, i heard this CD with a friend of mine and the bass player (Alex Moran) plays really cool, he plays triplets, two hand tapping and some other really cool techniques;) it's in spanish:bassist:

20. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    There's a radio station contest in Toronto where they play a clip of Noel Gallagher talking and you have to guess what he's saying!:eek: :D