Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CDs That Don't Play In Some Players

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have some CDs I made with my old band that don't play in the CD players in our house or our DVD player. I know that the rewritable ones aren't supposed to play in standard players, but these are the proper kind and they used to play in my old CD player that broke a year back. They do, however, play in my computer's CD player. Also, I have a CD by Front Page with Dominique DiPiazza that has the same issue where it will only play in my computer's CD drive. Anyone know why this is?

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've experienced this when the CD that you burn is not "finalized". Sometimes I forget to push that button when I'm done.......

But as far as a mass produced CD, I have no idea what would cause that.

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Nope, but just to prove it's not just you, I have a cd of my band that will play in my car, but not my wife's car; in my computer and portable cd, but not my DVD. :confused:

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

We have an Aiwa stereo with a built in cd burner. Copies run well on the machine, but won't run on my Bose Wave radio/CD
    or in my car on the Volvo Cd player. In my wife's car, it runs fine on her in dash cd player she got at the Tweeter chain.

My old cd burner in my computer never burned anything that would run in my car either.

I smell a Military-Industrial Complex conspiracy here somewhere... better check my shoes.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Don't forget to remove all of your fillings too...

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Compatibility issues with burners and players, plain and simple.

7. I know how you feel. I have this one CD that won't play in any of my CD players, my DVD, my computer, my....oh wait, its bologna. Wait, if the lunchmeat is here, whats in the...microwave.....COME BACK AC/DC, COME BACK!! *cries over melted CD, even thought she doesn't usually put lunchmeat in the microwave*

8. i have similar problems. i can put a Cd in my stereo and it will say no disc. take it out and put it back in, and itll work fine. sometimes i have to take out/put in like 10 times before itll play. weird...

9. Thor

My old reel to reel never had this problem, put it on,
    come back 3 hours later and it's still going.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    before my time oldie moldy - i miss my 8 track!

:D

11. Thor

8 tracks were pretty weak.

This reel to reel I got at the dump/transfer station for free.
    Some guy had lovingly set it aside at the transfer station,
    his wife probably having told him to get rid of the thing.

A Spotless, like new Sony. I had just looked at a new TEAC and it was like 1300 bones, so this was god telling me
    he loved me and would provide for me. At least that day.

It is still perfectly functional and is hooked up to my stereo.
    Great machine.

12. Check the Discs you're using.

I have a Sony DVD player/CD burner that will only burn "Audio CDs." The Alpine deck in my car is picky about what CDs it likes. I swear unto Hank Jr. Himself, there are only 3 kinds of audio CDs that my car likes. The Fuji Discs are the best, but only the 30 pack. I got a 50 pack and they stall, long time tracking when manually changing tracks. Same brand, same stock numbers on the discs, same packaging but one's a 50 pack. Swear it. I also had some TDK discs that worked perfectly, bought another spindle and they don't work in the car at all.

13. Thor

Obviously, your car [ let's call it HAL for good measure ], has become sentient and is rejecting whatever it does not want to hear ... Try a little Patsy Cline on it ...
    :D

14. Ummm...yes, my name is Dave...Really. :D