Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

c'ead m'ile f'ailte

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rekesbass, Mar 14, 2003.

1. just wonderin what everyone is doin on St.Patrick's day???...I'll probably go to one of the parades during the day(I love the sound of pipes and drums),then we'll have dinner(my wife is going to make soda bread for the first time) and my band is playin later that night at a Bennigan's near by(I know it's not a "real" Irish pub but, it's a GOOD paying gig)...and the Guiness will be flowin...not to mention the Irish whiskey...or should I say uisce beatha...so what are you all doin???

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    hmm no mention of your dearest mummy back there?

..St. Patricks day is mothers day isn't it?:confused:

3. was that a joke???:confused: ....if not, St. Patrick's day and mothers day are two different holidays....here in the US anyway...St. Patrick's day is a holiday for the patron saint of Ireland...who is said to have brought christianity to Ireland...mothers day is a day to honor the "saint" that is your mother..who brought you to this world...celabrated in May..:)

4. any way, being real irish im gonna wear my "Kiss Me I'm Irish!" t-shirt and run around with fake red sideburns (cause i cant grow my own) yelling fake drunkin slurs against the english.

5. I thought Mother's Day was 30th March. But then again, that's probably why I always forget it :oops:.

Anyway, now that I'm at university I finally get a day off for St.Patrick's Day, which I plan to celebrate by.............staying in bed. Maybe some Guinness later.

6. I'm not sure what I'll be doing Sunday besides hitting a Guitar show with Funkster even though I know that my wife wanted us to go to the parade and stuff. However, I did pick up a case of Beamish Irish Stout for the weekend.

It's one month to the day since my wife and I returned home from our trip to Ireland....I want to go back soon. We had a great time over there.

7. Aaaaaah, something I've been meaning to find out.... just *when* is St. Patricks Day?

:oops:

8. o.k....St. Patrick's day is on Mar.17(this coming monday)...this year mothers day is May 11........do Europeans other than the Irish consider St. Patrick's day a holiday??..and does anyone other than Americans consider mothers day a holiday????...just wondering :)

9. believe it or not, i'll be giving a speech on Finnegans Wake.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ooo, what's finnegan's wake?

11. i can't tell if you're serious or not, but...

"finnegan's wake" is an irish folk song wherein a man breaks his skull by falling off a ladder, and at his wake a drunken brawl results in whiskey being spilled on him and he is revived.

james joyce's novel Finnegans Wake is probably one of the most ambitious literary experiments ever written. note the lack of an apostrophe in the title; it's a bit of wordplay implying multiple Finnegans waking/taking each other's places, as part of the whole circularity motif. the book begins with the end of a sentence that is started at the end so it kind of "wraps around."

12. I've read some James Joyce, that's gonna be a difficult but rewarding read. It's on my list.

I didn't know it was a folk song though.

13. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    Finnegans wake-Clancy Brothers

A gentle irish lad, mighty odd.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ...we came in

i was being serious - thanks for the info. :)

ah, cool, gotcha.

isn't this where....

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Both Friday and Saturday night!

16. I was gonna ask why all the apostrophes in "c'ead m'ile f'ailte", but then I realised they were substitutes for fadas. So instead of "Is docha gur Amadan thu", "Is docha gur NACH Amadan thu!" :D ;)

I'll finish work at 8am monday morn, then off to bed til about 6pm, then into the pub for a pint or 10 of Guinness and probably a few auld whiskeys.

The craic should be mighty!

La fheile Naomh Padraig shona dhiabh go leir a chairde!

17. Favourite cod-gaelic: The Scubidh Dubh Ceilidh Band :D

18. :) Tzetze, my Gaelic is a bit rusty....actually I don't know any,except the title of this thread and a few other lines.....would you mind translating..."Is docha gur Amadan thu", ...and....La fheile Naomh Padraig shona dhiabh go leir a chairde!.( Padraig I understand,since my first name is Patrick).I knew someone from Ireland would would see the title of this thread and say "what ?":confused:. I don't have fadas on my keyboard...and even if I did I would'nt know how to use them:) :meh: ..oh BTW, what is "the craic"..I apologize for my ignorant behavior :oops: .. anyway, HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY

19. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    An ainm an Athar, agus a Mhic, agus an Spioraid Naoimh. Amen

Ár n-Athair, atá ar neamh: go naofar d’ainm. Go dtaga do Ríocht. Go ndéantar do thoil ar an talamh, mar dhéantar ar neamh. Ár n-arán laethiúl tabhair dúinn. Maith sinn ár bhfiacha, mar mhaithimid dár bhféichiúnaithe féin. Agus ná lig sinn i gcathú, ach saor sinn ó olc. Óir is leatsa an Ríocht agus an Chumhacht agus an Ghlóir, tré shaol na saol.

Gloir don Athair,
    agus don Mhac,
    agus don Spiorad Naomh.
    Mar a bha, 's mar a tha, 's mar a bhitheas,
    fad shaoghal nan saoghal. Amen.

Sé do bheath' a Mhuire, atá lán de ghrásta,
    tá an Tiarna leat.
    Is beannaithe thú idir mná agus is beannaithe toradh do bhruinne losa.

A Naomh Mhuire, a mháthair Dé, guí orainn na peacaithe, anois is ar uair ar mbás.
    Amen.

Failte dhut a Bhanruinn, a Mhathair na trocaire, ar beatha ar solas, is ar dochas, failte ort. Riutsa tha sinne, sliochd seachranach Eubha, a togail ar gutha. Riutsa tha sinn ag osnaich, a caoidh is ag acain, ann an gleann so nan deur. Thoir, mata, iuchair nan gras, suil fhial oirne. Agus an deidh dhuinn a chein- thir seo fhagai, feuch dhuinn toradh beannaichte do bhronn, losa. O Mhoire Oigh bhaidheil, ghradhach chaomh!

Guidh' air ar son, a Mhathair Naomh Dhe.
    Los gun toill sinn gealladh Chriosda.

Amen.

I think that's all I remember.

Oh yeah. Pogue Mahone! Of course.

20. you guys are freakin amazing:eek: :D ...ZuluFunk,how'bout a translation??...man,I am a sorry excuse for a Irish American..the extent of my Gaelic is the topic of this post and Erin go bragh...this is embarassing:oops: ..I have always been intrested in the Gaelic language but never seem to find the time or resource to read about it...anyone else have a line or two to share??..BTW is there a Gaelic\English dictionary available in book stores anywhere??