Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Celebration of the Lizard King??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Mar 7, 2006.

1. A friend of mine downloaded a live recording of The Doors doing a piece called "Celebration Of The Lizard King". I have the full Doors discography and I'm a rather big fan of them, but somehow I've never heard this one before. It's like 17 minutes long, it seems to be more oriented around Jim's poetry, and is pretty much an audible acid trip. Great chunk of music, but I was just wondering where the hell this came from?
    Was it just one of those special occasion type things that they only played it live?
    I know of a few bands who do that (Primus, for one), they have a song that never makes it to a studio album and is considered a special treat if you happen to catch it at a concert....is that what this is? Any help would be appreciated.

2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It was originally supposed to be on "Waiting for the Sun", but they were unable to get a good version down in the studio. The only part that made it on to the album was "Not to Touch the Earth". The whole poem is written out on the sleeve of the album. Its actual name is "The Celebration of the Lizard". It was performed live quite often, and there have been a few live versions released, including the one included on the boxed set and also on the Hollywood Bowl DVD.

3. COOL! Thanks for the info guys.

And now for more Doors questions..
    After reading that thing from Wikipedia where it says that the song appears on their album "Absolutely Live", I did a Google search for that album. It's on Amazon, but the song is not listed on the album (unless it's listed as "Not to Touch The Earth"). In addition to that, it lists a few songs that don't appear on any other Doors albums too.
    Here's a few:
    Names of the Kingdom
    The Palace of Exile
    The Hill Dwellers

Where do these songs come from!?!? I love the Doors, but they apparently have more material then I realized, now I'm on a mission to get as much info on them as possible.

4. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Those are the titles of the sections of the poem. The overall work is "The Celebration of the Lizard"

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    The seven sections of the poem are:

Lions in the Street
    Wake Up
    A Little Game
    The Hill Dwellers
    Not to Touch the Earth
    Names of the Kingdom
    The Palace of Exile

6. OH!! God, I should've known that. Thanks guys, that's all.