1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Celestion BL10-100 T/S parameters for WinISD pro alpha?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T-Bird, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hi.

This is a long shot once again, but has anyone found (/measured) this somewhat obsolete cheapo T/S parameters?
    16Ohm preferred, but 8Ohm will do as well.

I have excluded Celestion for this very lack of complete parameters as a potential DIY speaker company, but the price of these babies was just too low to pass up (8 of them on the way ;).

The parameters that can be found for example here:

http://www.laauser.com/celestion/downloaddocs/celestion/guitar/BL10-100.pdf

, are incomplete and/or inaccurate, resulting very funny graphs or none at all.

Judging by the parameters that are available, the more modern BL10-100X is not the same driver. Obviously, so no help there. Not that it's published T/S parameters are much better either :meh:.

I can do the math the old fashioned way, or using a less sophisticated software, but I'd really like to use the PRO if possible.

TIA

Regards
    Sam

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't know what to tell you, man. Q looks high enough to be sealed box. Fs of 70 also says likely shorter excursion sort of midbass-ish driver, not big lows, etc. That's about all I got.:)

3. Hi.

Thanks Will.

That's about what I've thought as well.

The "SVT-fridge(ish)" all mids-no lows is perfect for this particular application :).

I'd like to design the cab to take other drivers as well though, whether as ported or sealed. That way I could modify its performance, should the need arise.

The sole reason for choosing this particular driver BTW was the á 18,60€ price and the reason for going 16 Ohm, the additional 10% quantity discount ;).

Regards
    Sam

4. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Luthier - Prometeus Guitars
    I had eyes on those woofers too... got the specs from Celestion. I must say they were pretty poor so, even at that price, I passed on them :smug:

5. Hi.

Then good Sir, You're way better man than I am :).

I just couldn't resist.
    Wired funny that way I guess.

Regards
    Sam

6. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Do you still need the specs? ;)

Attached Files:

7. oh.. those speakers suck big time !
    I tested an 8x10" cab loaded with BL10.100 and it farted so easily ! hit the 4th string and all you get is a fart... useless.

8. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Well... you know, in real life things could be a bit better. 4 of those speakers cost as much as a mid-priced 12" and go high enough to be used for guitar.
    My guess is that 4 of them in a sealed cab could give a sound not too different from the old fridge. 3mm xmax and good up to 5-6khz... who knows.

9. oh.. i meant i actually played through an 8x10" cab with those speakers... trust me.. Not good.

10. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    At €20 each I wouldn't expect Deltalite performance ;)

11. Hi.

I sure do, thank You.

Ported or sealed?

I'm guessing ported.

^This, I sure as hell won't expect that.

As said, this project will fill a couple of "voids". It won't try to even enter the same competition with BFM or fEarful designs for example.
    Something us Finns should've thought when choosing the participiants for the recent olympics I guess ;). I mean, why go in the first place if one won't even be able to qualify?

Regards
    Sam

12. Sealed 8x10" cab

13. Hi.

Damn.

Regards
    Sam

14. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    An €80 4x10" always retains some value. I think that in real life it will work decently... probably a bit anemic on the lows, just like the 70s fridge but pretty open sounding. Or at least I hope. :p

15. Hi.

Exactly.
    A rough estimate on the fridge materials with the road-case construction method I've chosen for the "prototype" is on about 250€ mark.

The packages arrived yesterday :).

For the first time that I've dealt with Thomann, THIS sorry sight however was the package of one of the drivers :(

DSCN3665.

And, as could be expected, the driver wasn't in any better shape either:

DSCN3668.

Fortunately, Thomann has been more than good with CS IME, so let's wait and see.

Regards
    Sam

16. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Ouch. Did you get 8 of those drivers to put them in a 250lt cab?

17. Hi.

Yep.

For some odd reason (user error?) 10lt/driver yields a better power figures, but roughly 250lt will be the inside volume so a wide variety of drivers can be used if so desired.

Regards
    Sam

18. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    Unfortunately the Alpha version of WinSD gives me troubles so I have no access to parameters like excursion etc. but with WinSD Beta looks like these woofers need a pretty big vented cab to be decent in the low end. For 4 drivers not less than 150lt... yes, maybe 250 for 8 wouldn't be too bad. Did you see how the bass response becomes poor in a sealed cab? Never seen anything like that. :ninja:
    Did Thomann fix the trouble with the damaged speaker?

19. Hi.

They sure behave quite strangely for me as well, but then again, I'm not 100% sure that the T/S parameters are correct in the first place, or if I did some stupid mistake when inputting them. I'm not familiar enough with all the needed T/S parameters to form even an educated guess as to what's the reason. Alpha Pro is also a totally new software for me, I'm used to much simpler ways of calculating cabs ;).

Fortunately bgavin offered to host the .wdr file I created with the parameters from Your link, so anyone can see whether there's an error or if it's just the way this particular driver behaves.

It is after all a relatively cheap driver, but if it will perform anything like the modeling suggests, it'd be rather nice with bass, and absolutely kill with guitar.

Not yet, but the Finnish contact we have over there replied that she had forwarded my claim to the international CS department and they'll contct me. I guess the few pics I had attached resulted a junk mail alert or something, which slowed things down quite a bit as a result. I'm very confident that the matter gets resolved though.

Regards
    Sam

20. Triad

Triad Commercial User

Jul 4, 2006
    Europe
    I think you could probably straighten the driver bolting it on a stiff baffle... but of course it could have other problems apart from the bent frame.
    This link also shows the parameters of the driver:

http://www.laauser.com/celestion/downloaddocs/celestion/guitar/BL10-100.pdf

I must admit that I had a pending order with Thomann lately and ended up getting for of those in 16Ohm impedance for a vented 4x10". If they're junk with bass I'll use them for guitar. ;)
    The best choice FOR ME seems a 150lt enclosure tuned at 40hz. Of course it's solely based on my taste and on the fact I don't want a 250lt cab, it wouldn't fit the trunk of my car. :bag:
    I'm expecting a pretty "hollow" sound on lows but the driver should be nice on mids and highs (goes up to 6khz). Guess you thought the same and for €17 a piece you can't go wrong (or at least not wrong enough to avoid trying) :D