1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

celestion green BL10 and BN10 speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oreopithecus, Apr 21, 2009.

1. oreopithecus

oreopithecus

Nov 18, 2004
    yep.
    Anyone have any hands-on experience with these?

I'm considering restocking a 4x10 cabinet with these, and was looking for some input.

I know the general diff's between neo and non-neo speakers, but have no experience with celestions as bass drivers.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The BL10-100X Fs is 76 Hz, the BL10-200 Fs is 73 Hz; that's very poor for a bass driver.
    The BN10-200S BN10-300S are even worse.
    The BN10-300X is the only model with specs appropriate for a bass driver.

PawleeP likes this.
  3. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure the green series aren't SUPPOSED to be a super-hi-fi, sterile-lab-tested speaker. I think they are designed to be closer to a vintage speaker, with some character and warmth. I think they are cheaper than the eminence ones, too.

4. oreopithecus

oreopithecus

Nov 18, 2004
    yep.
    that was my understanding as well. the green's were supposed to be for "rock," which might mean that they break up really early, like a guitar speaker. not something I'm looking for. a little loose and warm would be good, though. orange is supposed to be the completely tight and clean one...

5. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I don't think the speakers would break up faster than any other speakers, I think its more about the frequency response. I wouldn't imagine any farting out for 4 200watt rated speakers, unless you are abusing them (in which case, any speaker would)

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Character and warmth maybe, but no balls. Even the original 1969 vintage CTS-SVT tens would go lower, let alone more recent drivers. If Celestion's intent is to re-create the sound of their own vintage drivers fine, but there's a reason why Celestion has always been a popular guitar driver but never has had much impact in the bass realm.