1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Celestion K12s-100 any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkytoe, Apr 20, 2009.

1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Dave at Avatar speakers is blowing out these Made in England 12 inch Celestion speakers. Recent EBAY auctions are closing at $36 for TWO 8 ohm speakers with $19 shipping for the pair. Two more auctions ending on Wednesday.:hyper:

$54 bucks for TWO new Celestion 8 ohm speakers shipped to your front door seems like a crazy-good deal.

Celestion does not post X-max specs that I could find. Power rating is 100 watts RMS. 97 DB sensitivity. Coil diameter is 1.75 inches. Coil material is copper. 30 ounce ceramic magnet. Listed frequency range is 55Hz to 6000HZ. Resonant frequency is 53.7 Hz.

Celestion bills these as all purpose Bass/PA/Sound Reinforcement speakers. I'm thinking about buying a set and giving them a go in an old 4x12 Sunn cab.

Anyone have any experience with these for bass? Not planning on running more than 100 tube watts into these.
    Just in the mood for a mad experiment. Your thoughts?

2. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    I wouldn't expect much bass, but for that price, what the heck.
    At the very least it would be a good guitar or keyboard cab.

3. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    What intrigues me is the broad frequency range -- 55 HZ to 6000 HZ and the 53.7 HZ resonant frequency. Thats a pretty broad range, with really decent low end. I think they may sound great in a sealed 4x12 cab with no crossover/tweeter.

Curious why you think it may not be that good for bass?

Obviously, I would feel a lot better with published X-max of 4 or so, but absent any published specs in that regard, I think it may be just fine for bass.

4. BeauZooka

BeauZooka

Oct 2, 2007
    Seattle USA
    You seem to be up on your specs more than I, but I don't think that Celestion has ever had a handle on speakers for low end applications. I offer you absolutely zero scientific proof of that!
    I remember Avatar was going to offer Celestions in their bass cabs but that never went down. I suspect that they don't have anything that comes close to beating an Eminence 2510 or 2512.
    I had an empty Traynor 6x10 that I loaded with 4 Celestion K10(somethings) that I got for $25 each from Avatar and 2 S2010's. My poor man's SVT cab sounded decent and worked for me for a while. I don't know how to describe the low end. It was there but it was sloppy, if that makes sense. Sold it and got something different eventually.
    That said, go for it. Cheap thrills! It will probably sound pretty good for rock 'n roll.

5. Cary713

Cary713

Apr 8, 2009
    Boise, Id
    I just e-mailed him and got a quote of $49 EACH plus shipping ($12)
    Why the big price difference?

6. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    The $36 figure is what a new pair of these sold for at the close of Dave's last EBAY auction. There are still two auctions pending for these, so you may get them for $36 or less depending on the final bid amount if you go through the auction.

Price to buy direct from Avatar is of course up to them.

7. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Just checked ... Looks like one of the remaining auctions was pulled before any bids.

Last remaining auction for a pair of these speakers is at $29 with less than 24 hours remaining.