1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Celestion Pulse12 - 200W 12" Bass Speaker for Steve Harris type rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lfmn16, Dec 29, 2016.

1. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm thinking of trying the Steve Harris thing - 12 inch bass speakers in a Marshall Cabinet. The EV 12Ls are way out of my price range. Does anyone know anything about the Celestial Pulse 12 speakers?

Would appreciate any other unsolicited comments about what I'm trying to do. I've done a lot of searching on TB and know there are some issues with this.

Thanks.

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    It would be prudent to do the math to see how the speaker is likely to hold up in the size and type of enclosure you intend to use it in. May be ok, but may also be a horrible choice. Without doing the math, there is no way whatsoever to tell which.

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Thanks for the suggestion but I wouldn't have any idea how to do the math.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Then I wouldn't recommend this project as you are likely to be disappointed. Save your money and buy something that you can actually try to see if it meets your needs... or learn how the math works and how simulations using the math can get you the important info.

6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Fortunately, computers are really good at arithmetic. You don't have to be able to work out the physics from first principles. There are various software tools - some of them free - that would allow someone of pretty basic electronics and cabinetry skills to at least avoid disaster, though patience and discipline are still required.

7. To be fair, if one likes the low end of the driver in question in a smallish sealed cabinet like the v4 412 cab, it's likely to perform as well in the low end when placed in another, similarly sized, smallish sealed cabinet. I'm not sure that the internal volume of a marshall 412 is too similar to an ampeg V4, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't worlds apart at the very least. Of course doing some math or some footwork is advisable, but the math involved in calculating the internal volume of a cabinet, subtracting an estimate of the driver's displacement, and then putting that value and some of the parameters of the driver into some software to figure out power handling, low end extension and whether or not there's a large low-mid/upper bass bump is all that difficult.