Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Celinder and Lakland Jazz Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron J, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare a USA Lakland Joe Osborne with a Celinder J Vintage 4. I have only heard good things about Celinder basses (aside from some customer service issues) and was wondering how they compared tonally and feel-wise to the JoBo. Thanks. :bassist:

2. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the reply Treena. I have read that post a couple of times actually and it turns out to be more of a commentary on the customer service of Celinder. The Osborne isn't really mentioned either. I was wondering what people prefer tone and feel-wise after having experienced both. I know they have to be very similar...I am more interested in nuances.

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Well, if it does come down to customer service, Lakland will win that hands down. Every comment I've heard is that they will not only solve your problem but will usually go above and beyond what you even ask of them.

I've got a Skyline Glaub and its a great bass, haven't had to deal with customer service yet though.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    this is probably no help, but...

I have played the Lakland Joe Osborn. If I was looking for a jazz bass, I am not sure if there is anything else I would buy instead of that one. The customer service from Lakland only makes that choice even easier.

5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey all.. I've owned a Lakland Joe Osborne 5 and currently have 3 Celinder Vintage 5's..
    All of them had the active preamps though... The Lakland Osborne 5 sounded great passive, probably better than with the preamp... The Fralins do a nice job of getting that jazz growl... My Celinders are just more livlier, buts thats with the preamp which is basically just bass cut/boost and a tone control.. It still sounds organic and has a great growl, but you can give it a kick in the ass.. Thats what I beleive they were trying to get, a passive sounding bass with aliitle more control...
    What may be a cool way to go is a Osborne passive through a Sadowsky preamp... The Skyline versions are also great for the money... And as far as Lakland customer service, I agree with everybody else, they're tops...

6. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Steven, thanks bro, thats what I wanted to hear. :D I'm shopping around for a great handmade jazz clone and I have narrowed it down to those two. I think I am leaning more towards the Osborne since I want a passive animal. Thanks again. Do the two pretty much have the same feel?

7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Well I believe the Celinder you are looking at The BassPalace is passive and does have Fralin pickups... As far as feel the Laklands have a satin finish on the back of the necks and the Celinders do not.. Either way you can not go wrong.. Best of Luck.. Steve...

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been told that the Celinders are a bit on the heavy side. Not ever seeing one I wouldn't know for certain.

For what it's worth, I did have a Lakland 5, with the two J pickups, and a it was a great bass. I really liked the shape of and the finish on the back of the neck.

I would wonder if you've looked into the Sadowsky? That would be my choice, hands down. I can't even begin to think of anybody with better customer service. And lordy mine is still my number uno bass.

Good luck with your search.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The reason that I mention Sadowsky is that I just saw this one and it sure looks sweet.

[​IMG]