Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Celinder basses..does anyone know about these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hey all,

Does anyone know anything about Celinder's? I tried to get to their website but got shuffled into some Danish (?) page with no mention of basses. I know that Celinder is Danish, right? Oh and once I did get to their site when there was an article on the Talkbass home page.

Does anyone have one of these basses? Does anyone know where there is a dealer?

Also, I'm going to Dallas for 2 weeks. Any cool bass places to check out? I might make it to Austin on the weekend and I know that Austin Bass Traders is there. Is that a cool place?

2. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    chk with rawn randall at r2 music.i here they sound sweet like a j-bass on steroids',or is that sadowsky's motto.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Jerry J, enjoy your stay in Dallas(when you get here!:)).

The best place you can go is a 2 mile stretch of Garland Rd in Garland, a suburb to the east of Dallas.

There is a store called Larry Morgan Music that carries Alembic, Modulus and Spector, plus the usual suspects, and usually has some nice used stuff that people have traded in on Alembics. I have seen Ken Smith, Tobias(post Gibson, but 2 nice ones!), Pedulla and some others. Oh yeah! They also have an Andreas Basking Shark, plus Aguilar, Ampeg and Eden amps.

[​IMG]

Right down the street from them is a little strip with Zoo Music(Pedulla, Tobias, Peavey Cirrus and a lot of used stuff) and Speir Music(Lakland, Status, Zon, G&L, Tobias, Bag End) right next door to each other.

BTW - No Celinders in Big D.
    You can hit all three of these shops in 1 trip.

We have 4 Guitar Centers and 3 Mars as well.

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    No s&#t! Larry Morgan's has a Basking Shark????? Have you played it yet? How does it play/feel?

5. embellisher

ytsebri, I didn't know that you were from the DFW area!

Yeah, they've got one, nice neck, great construction/fit/finish, feels kinda strange, sounds very good but really bright.

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Aye. In Arlington. I live at Guitar Center! :)

7. Has anyone played a Celinder??? I don't know if the original question was addressed.Does anyone know of a US dealer who might keep those in stock?

8. Yes. LA Bass Exchange carries them. I played a few last summer while in LA for business. Very nice instruments.

www.bassexchange.com

Jeff

9. embellisher

Cool! I live in Irving, and work in Plano.

I don't live at GC, although I spend so much time there they threatened to charge me rent! :p

10. Bass exchange in L.A? HHmmm...that's a bit of a drive,since I live in VA.I'll check out the site anyways,they might know of another dealer who is on the east coast.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played a couple. Nice J basses. What are you looking for, Jerry? I might have another possibility for you... just saw a used Atelier Z 5 online.

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Brad,
    My first choice would be your D55. If I have to settle (?) for something else it would most likely be a Sadowsky. I just can't justify a new one or a new Lakland.

The only Sadowsky that I've found is at Bass Palace but that one just went on lay-away. I'm just looking for something a bit easier to play and lighter than my Roscoe Beck 5. It's a sweet bass but just a bit tough for smaller hands and I have a tough time going from my Jazz to the RB5. And I'm really wanting to stay in the same vein as the Fender mold.

Thanks for the tip about LA Bass Ex. Dave is really a SUPER guy. Maybe I'll give them a call when I get back home.

I'm also planning an overnight trip to Austin to visit Austin Bass Traders while I'm here in Dallas. Any other places to check out, bass-wise, in Austin?

Thanks all and thanks Embellisher, for the leads to Larry Morgan's and Speir's. There wasn't anything at LM's that struck my fancy and the D55 at Speir's was just too pricey.

Herm, Here on Talkbass has got some real decent prices on Laklands but I forgot to ask what the leadtime is for these.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The only east coast Celinder dealer that I am aware of is Rawn Randall at R-2 Musical in NYC. I believe he is also the US Distributor so perhaps he could put you in touch with a dealer closer to you.

I also know that Rawn has many chioces in what bass he plays himself and of all of his choices he plays a Celinder so that tells me a lot of what he thinks of them!
    http://www.r2musical.com/

14. Well,NYC isn't too far ...if you're gonna do an out-of-towner.At least I can reach them via e-mail.Thanks for the info Dude!!!

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Your welcome! Shoot Rawn Randall an email (tell him I sent ya!) and he'll tell you as much as you want to know about them and since he's also the US Distributor maybe he knows of a dealer or perhaps of another Celinder owner in your area. In any event Rawn is the man to talk to about Celinders!

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I played that Sadowsky at the Bass Palace, Jerry...very nice bass. What I was talking about was another bass at the same store, an Atelier Z 5 string. Killer Jazz bass and the price isn't bad. They haven't caught on (yet) but the bass of theirs that truly impressed me was their 6 string Jazz that sounded like what I would imagine an ideal 6 string Jazz to sound like. Much easier said than done.
    It would be tough for me to justify to myself another bass purchase but that Atelier Z at BP is tempting. So are the Elrick 6 and Ray Rogers single cutaway at the Lowend;)

The New York Guitar and Bass Boutique is an Atelier Z dealer.

You may want to look at Mike Lulls (check with Dude on them).

17. Thanks again Dude!! I'll probably e-mail Rawn.BTW,have you posted more pics of the NAMM show???

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yeah a while ago...I'm actually booking flights etc for the Summer Show in Nashville this week. Not sure what you may or may not have seen from teh January show so here are links to both the 1st and second galleries:

There's 111 shots in the fist gallery here:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=637760&a=11128406

There's another 127 shots in Gallery #2 here:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=637760&a=11582659

I just launched my own little discussion board today so come on over and check it out at:

http://pub41.ezboard.com/bthedudepit

19. You might want to try www.bassnw.com

They're Bass Northwest in Seattle. They are bass specific store....and they have great prices and stock!! I bought all my basses there.

20. Dude,I'm probably a day late and a dollar short,but,those pics are sweeeeett!!! I've been away from talk bass for some time and didn't know you posted the rest of those photos.BTW,did you play any of those Esh's??? If so,how did the Various sound?(Should I be on another thread?)I sure digress alot!!!