Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Celinder Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Treena Foster, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Celinder basses are extremely well built custom instruments from Denmark:D I have played a few ( J Graham Tribute and a Marcus Miller update) both were fantanstic basses. I would prefer them up to a Jazz at anytime..!

You may also want to check out Mørch Basses.. www.morch-guitars.dk
    Not quite Jazzbass regular looks but they nail the sound..
    I have picked Mørch over Celinder, because I like the looks and sound better..:rolleyes:
    But someday I will own a Celinder!!

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I havent played them, but look at the Custom 5.
    Now thats a bass!

3. Steve Fantaske

Steve Fantaske

Oct 24, 2003
    Toronto
    I've never played one so I can't tell you what they play like but if you want to hear what one sounds like recorded check out the Scarbee bass sample library demos at:

http://www.scarbee.com/jsf/index.html

Scarbee meticulously sampled every nuance of a Celinder J Update 4.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've played a few, and they sound really great, better than the fender custom shops I've played, though not as good as my sadowsky's, but guess that's a matter of personal taste. I've spoken to some owners of celinders and though they like their instrumenent, they share some bad experiences with dealing with Celinder. One guy even told me never to buy a Celinder because of his bad experience, he had ordered a Celinder bass and was promised to have it within 6 months. After 2 years he still haven't heard from them, and it ended with the guy cancelling his order and claiming his deposit back...that said, I personally cannot think this is the way Celinders normally operates and I would never hesitate ordering a Celinder bass if that was what I wanted...For my point of view they are damn great basses...

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Like I said Treena I played one almost like this one and it was a killer bass. I'm 40 and have been a Fender guy for 25 years and these stack up ver nice to the original.
    Well built, Strung through, Fralin pickups ROCK!
    and the fit & finish is every bit as good as any american boutique maker out there.
    That's about it, If I had the extra 2 grand I would have one in my stable but my bass budget is around a grand or under.
    Good luck and do tell all if you pick one up.

6. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    I agree with that jacove..
    I've also heard a few people complaining bout' bad experiences. But that woundn't keep me for ordering one..

7. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo

Do not ever order one- you dont know what I've gone/went through with them. I am loathed to air it in print but since this exact subject has been raised and commented on already I feel I have to add to the warnings. In my case, no bass, no money back , lies and run around. Scammed and taken, period. Learn from my mistake.

8. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey Treena... I currently own 3 Celinder Vintage 5's and I love them... Yes they are hard to find and can be a pain in the ass to order (I've ordered 2) but well worth it in my book... Last year I owned 2 Sadowskys, 3 Laklands and a Moon, a Schecter and a Stringray fretless, but I sold them all once I got my 1st Celinder...
    Heres a pic of 2 of them and when I get time I'll be taking pics of the latest, it's a Shoreline Gold w/matching headstock and blocks and binding.. I may also be selling the Burgundy Mist one, I just haven't got the courage to list it yet... The Sunburst was recently on consignment at BunnyBass...

9. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Being fleeced out of $1000 was more than a pain in the ass to me....its real money and a real scam.. They may pick and choose when they'll honor a few orders and when they'll just dissapear and/or put you off until you give up...but it's still a bad risk- and I havent been the only one... people need to know whats going on if they raise the issue about this company. Again...BEWARE..I lost alot of money on what I consider a "theft". Dont make the same mistake I did. There are plenty of good manufacturers out there that are upstanding and make a great product.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    You might want to know that the bass in question resides in a store already, There would be no ordering just playing and buying.
    The question in this thread was how do these basses play and sound. The answer is excellent.
    The reputable dealer I know that deals with them has had no problems.
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss and can't believe that they stole your money, That's bad business practice, But you can't deny that these are great basses.
    I just had a big gripe with Eden (Washburn) and was totaly screwed from them so bad that I had to sell my 210T cabs that I loved dearly that they couldn't fix unless I took out a 2nd mortgage, But I still can't deny that they make great bass gear and will still use my WT400 BUT! I would never buy anything with the Eden badge on it ever again nor would I try to sway you away from buying there gear also. I can also understand the buyer beware thing But I can only tell of my experience appreciate the buyer beware, But I cant see being swayed away from buying a bass off the wall at a shop because the home office screwed you over. That really doesn't make sense.

11. There was a review of a Celinder J in that British bass magazine, about one or two issues back. I forgot the exact name of the magazine but you can find it at Borders (maybe).

12. Big time bummer man!

If I am reading this right.........you ordered directly from Celinder? Celinder took you for $1000.00?

How did they do this? You had no recourse?

Please PM me with more details.

I am looking at basspalace.com where this bass in the photo is listed and I have purchased from there with no problems before!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Hey Treena, if Richard Bona endorses them, they can't be bad!

I read an excellent review in Bass Player.....Good luck with your searching!

Regards

Mike

14. basses55

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto

?? Who said anything about the bass not being any good?? What post are you reading ? I tried to buy the bass...thats says something..but they're not the only manufacturer out there making Jazz type basses that are good...and they are in my world a bad risk to deal with.. I never wrote anything about my subjective opinion of the bass itself ....I'm sure that is evident from actually reading my post and not just having a knee jerk reaction to something you think your hearing. The issue of people having trouble with Celinder (the company) was brought up before me a few times in this thread ..and.. not by me to boot...I assumed that since it was brought up, the person looking for info would be glad to be given info that may affect them...they may eventually ORDER one to get what they want in the end. From her post above it seems that she welcomes the info as I and most people I know would -to possibly save a fellow bass player alot heartache in the future- I would have loved to know what I know now on this side. Go ahead- buy one off a rack or from someone else..thats fine- never said otherwise...but I responded to the "I heard bad things but would still order one" comment...and thats what I think part of this forum is about....helping others with information about all kinds of things that can make us more informed as a group as opposed to a bunch of independant single bass players running around trying to find out everything we need to find out ourselves only.
    No idea of a good reason why you would have a reaction like that one.
    Hope no one ever goes through the same as I- thats all I want.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I owned a vintage 5 for a bit over last winter. Nice bass. Ash body, brazilian board, etc. I'm a Sadowsky artist and it wasn't quite up to par but very nice anyway. I prefer 34" scale, it was 35". It had an Aguilar pre which I disliked. I used to run it passive through my Sadowsky DI/Pre. Overall, nice bass. Good construction, detail, etc. I'd say a touch better than either Pensa I owned. Resale is not that fantastic. Didn't get anywhere near what I've sold Sadowsky 5's for. Best of luck

Rob

16. Just to set the record straight. I am looking for any and all experience. Thats why I worded my initial post as I did. I wanted everyone's opinion, who has had experience with these basses and manufacturer.

Thus far I have received many opinions and I am satisfied with the results!

Thank you for the collective info!

[​IMG]
    Treena

17. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey all... If anybody has any specific questions on Celinders, please feel free to e-mail me... As I said I've owned 4 and now have 3... I had 2 of them ordered and bought 2 used... I do have another on order though it's a new model that he just came out with this year... Sorry to hear of your problems in ordering one, believe me I had to have alot of patience myself.. Overall I love the Celinders I currently own... In my last few years of what I call research (thats an another fancy word for G.A.S.) I found what feels perfect for me.. (SCT1422@MSN.COM)
    Best of luck... Steve...

18. What with all the fine custom shops in America that build J basses, plus the ability to buy J bodies and necks directly from at least a half-dozen sources, why any North American would want to buy a J from Denmark is beyond Mr. Goody Good.

If you live in Europe, it may make all the sense in the world.

Interesting thread, tho.:)

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Did you deal directly through Celinder or go through a States side dealer?

I don't understand why you say you have given up.

I've always made it my policy to buy off the shelf, so to speak or buy used.