Celinder Nylons?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sonorous, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I was at the Celinder website and was looking at the summary of their strings. They have a nylon type string and this is what it says.

"The CELINDER NYLON strings are flatwound strings with black nylon taper built on a steel core. They are particularly good for transducer style pickups, but work great with regular magnetic pickups too. Like the CELINDER CHROME flatwounds they are not designed for thru-body-stringing, but will fit all our 35" scale basses (toploaded)."

My question is, since they are wound with nylon but have a steel core, how do they sound with regular pick-ups? Also, how does nylon feel on your fingers. My father has a classical guitar with nylon strings and I don't like them that much, they tend to "roll" whenever I play it. Would these do the same thing?
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I have a set of La Bella nylon-coated roundwounds on my fretless, and I really like them. They're nice and smooth for sliding... my old flatwounds were too rough on my fingers when I tried sliding around on them. These aren't as dead sounding as my old flats either. My fretless is an Ibanez EDA905 with one magnetic pickup and a set of piezos in the bridge, but one of my piezos isn't working, so I only really use the magnetic pickup.

I tried putting the Bellas on my fretted bass once, and they sounded okay, but I didn't really like 'em as much as I did on the fretless. They didn't have quite enough zing. :)

Hope that helps a little... I'm not sure what you mean by "roll" though.
  3. Sonorous - I'll attempt to help define the strings.

I have not played or even heard the strings from Celinder although, they are most likely comparable to Labella's Black Nylon tapewound strings which I use on a fretless Carvin AC50 Acoust/Elec and a Fender Musicmaster. They are a perfect fit for the Carvin. They are extremely easy to play, have considerable lower tension and are thicker than your std nickels or steels. The thick gauge of the Labella's are (115-60) which probably helps increase the tension somewhat. They do have a SLIGHT roll to them but nothing like Classical nylon guitar strings.

The best sound comparison I could give for these strings on a fretted bass would be the early Beatles and/or Motown tone. However, on the Carvin fretless I get a very deep warm and surprisingly crisp tone.

They are a different beast but it's great to have a bass strung w/these to achieve that deep thick tone that arguably (for any other TBer's out there) cannot be reproduced with nickels or steels.

4. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Thank you for your help. Excellent "review". They sound like the perfect strings for me.