Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Celinder - still in business?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liverbird, May 8, 2004.

1. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Went to the London Guitar Show today - fairly disappointing in the bass department, I thought. Anyway, I definitely wanted to check out the Celinder stand, they were advertised in the programme. Turns out they weren't there at all. A lady from the outfit that had taken over their stand told me Celinder have gone into liquidation about a month ago. Anybody know whether there's any truth in that? Would be a pity, nice basses...

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Last time I spoke to Chris which was about 5-6 weeks ago he was in the process of changing his website... I received a new bass from him in March and I know a few dealers who have received basses from him recently.. He's very hard to get ahold of at times and not always punctual... :rolleyes: It's really too bad, because he builds a great frickin instrument... I own 3 Vintage 5's, selling 1 and looking for an Update 5 with blocks and binding... I wish I could order one from Chris, but after going through the hassle 3 times, I'd rather pull all the hair form my body one at a time... :eek:

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    is that Bona on the picture?

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    "Bass Player-Richard Bona"

Look for the tiny print on the lower left.

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    ah thanks, but last I heard he dropped the endorsement? lol not quite sure what happened, when I saw him live he was just using a Fender.

6. Tbaird

Tbaird

May 14, 2004
    Chris is building a bass for me. It has been awhile but he promised to ship it. It is my hope that he does so and I can close this transaction soon.

I met him on his trip to LA in winter of 2003 (for NAMM). All I can say is he has a passion for his product(s). He let me take some of his basses home to check them out - I don't know how many shops would allow that.

I think he is making some business changes "incorporation", LLC - something I was surprised he had not done long ago.

I have no idea about what that means for bassists whom have made deposits (like me). I just hope that it means that there will be some predictabilty in his customer relationships - and that is really a wish for his business viability.

In this age of mass-produced instruments and contrived consolidations, I believe Chris wants to provide a quality handmade product alternative and is in it for the long run.

I just wish he would decide attend to follow-up with his customers. He'd sell more basses and repeat business is always the sweetest.

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Just curious he builds and ships out of Denmark? So you would have to pay import fees or just huge shipping charges? or does he ship out of the US?

8. SCT1422

Yes, he builds and ships out of Denmark... I also heard he's making some business changes... I wish he was more consistant, I would keep ordering basses from him as well... He builds a great bass and he would sell more if people had a better chance to check out his basses..
    I did speak to him last Friday about strings and the last few times I had called him, he was more accessible... :)

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Great instruments but have found the customer service to be lacking. I hope they get their act together

Rob

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I was just at the amp shop in Sherman Oaks CA today, and they verified that Celinder is definitely still in business. Gary said they'd gone through some gyrations, but are now shipping basses again. They had three in the store that had just recently arrived, and they just placed an order this week for three more. They're great basses, I played a couple of 'em and they all sounded good. I may order a Classic 5-string P bass.

11. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Just curious but how good were they tone and construction wise? I know you have experience with F Basses and Roscoe so how would you compare?

I would never buy one because of too many customer service issues and that is #1 in my book when I buy anything but I am curious.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Construction was excellent. It was obvious they paid meticulous attention to the details. I was looking for something specific, which is a 5-string P bass, and the bass I played sounded "exactly like a P". It was passive, with Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups. Very nice bass.

13. SCT1422

I received an e-mail from Chris this morning and he sent his new shop phone number 011-453-331-8778.. I'm sure this will also be up on the new site when it starts....

14. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    That must be an expensive phone call :D

15. Tbaird

Tbaird

May 14, 2004
    In May 2003 I ordered a Vintage PJ from Celinder and put a significant deposit. In the spring of 2004 I have been told by Chris that my bass was done. By May he was promising to send it. If you visit his web site there is even a picture of it in the specials section. But alas, 14 months after agreeing to buy a Celinder - with a deposit, all I have to show is a friggin JPG! Any Danish - Bass playin Lawyers out there who want to help me sue Celinder?

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

From what i have read around here they seem like they are still in buissness.

17. SCT1422

Hey Tbaird.. I sent you a reply to your PM.... He's still in business.. I just received some extra pickguards from him a few weeks ago... You have to constantly hound him to get things done... I know he changed the way he runs business by hiring somebody else to handle that... Give me a call for the numbers I have, they may help...