1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cell phone billing rip-off?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J.D.B., Oct 3, 2008.

1. Through two cell phone Cos. in a row, I find that I'm generally calling them monthly to correct my "computerized" bill. They have, at least, corrected the bill every time I've called them on it. This new company(BIG) has got exactly ONE bill correct in six months. They slip in charges for features not used which were "blocked" by them at the inception of my account. They seem to need "blocking" repeatedly. Ususally it's a couple bucks. I don't care if it's a nickel. I can't understand how their computer can't generate what should be the same number on my bill twice in a row, let alone the last six times. Now, after paying the (corrected) bill, I looked at my pending transactions on my checking acct.(online), and I see another dollar on a separate line going to them. ***? It doesn't show it on their bill or the receipt they e-mailed me. I looked at their "terms of endearment" and it doesn't show anything about a "secret dollar" charged for making an on-line payment, so I don't know what it's for, or why they don't acknowledge it on the receipt. I authorized what I thought was ONE transaction, NOT TWO. Their support is closed till morning, when I'll be sure to tear them up over in India for this theft. Anyone else having these experiences with their cell company? Truly a deal-breaker in my opinion.

Josh

2. Take ALL your accumulated evidence and turn them them in along with an offical complaint to your regional BBB.. I did that when Cingular was playing fast and loose with my phone rebate.. Cingular lost... I got the way-overdue rebate check.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Also submit a complaint online to the FCC.

bc

4. Thanks A bunch! I had them on the phone today and It's possible I overreacted. The rep claimed that they "ping" the account for a dollar, then put it back. I remember PayPal doing this to verify my attached bank account(only once, though). The rep said they do this every time for every online payment. Why? He couldn't answer. Neither could his supervisor. I'm thinking that if they process, say, a million payments this way, and maybe hold the million dollars overnight, can they be making interest money on it, somehow? Very smelly, indeed. I'm going to dig deeper as you have graciously suggested.Thanks, again.
    Josh

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sounds fishy. "Playing the float" may be illegal if that's what they are doing with your money.

Another resource is your state's consumer protection agency. Here in Wisconsin, they once resolved an issue for me.

6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Or perhaps they only reimburse to ppl that inquire,
    there seems to be an awful lot of this type of billing lately..

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i feel your pain... i feel like verizon adds this and that, this and that when i'm not looking... :rolleyes: