Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cell phone carrier?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Jun 22, 2004.

Which brand?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2004.
  1. AT&T

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Nextel

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Sprint

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. T-Mobile

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Verizon

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  6. Other.

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I just went Nextel... What has everyone else got?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i have sprint, it works pretty good where i am (NJ) and in my experience it works great down the shore

if you are going with nextel because of the walkie talkies, think twice. their two year patent is up soon (i think) and soon everyone will have it. i believe verizon is developing it. not sure about the others

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I have sprint and it's the only phone that works in my studio. Everyone else is always pissed off cuz they miss calls, suckas... :D

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Verizon, I'm on my mom's plan, I get great coverage nearly everywhere except my house!

it's a pain, I just have to go down the street a little to get full signal, but in the house, I get nothing.

5. Everybody else got a good phone. :D

Nextel has lousy coverage if you travel a lot. As long as you are in a fairly big city your OK but I lost any conectivity north of the Fl. border going up the Turnpike thru Ga. In the Blue Ridge Mountains I had 0 connections in Asheville which is a fairly large City.

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I rarely leave the northeastern part of the country (sadly). Most of my friends have Nextel, so it was worth it for the walkie talkie part of it even if other companies do get a usable version out there. And they have all had better reception than me (formerly a Verizon user) in just about every place I've ever needed to use a cell phone and didn't have reception. I guess it depends on where you are really... I think it will come in handy next time I get pulled over too, being as that all my law enforcement friends have Nextels. ;)

7. One of the problems with picking a cell phone is you don’t really know what your phone needs will be unless you have already had one. I found that out when I first got one, what I thought would be a good plan turned out to cost me a big chunk of money because I ended up using quite a bit more minutes then I thought I would and the bad connection forced me to use phone cards more then once on trips upstate.
    If your friends like Nextel where you are and you pretty much have similar needs as they then Nextel is probably a good choice.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Great Choice Joe! My sis-in-law has worked for them for about 5 years... just about every one of my friends and family have moved over to them. Best coverage in the PA/NJ/NY area!

I on the other hand... use Cingular via tracfone.com as I rarely use it and nobody but a chosen few know it. If I use 30 minutes in a month I've gabbed too much

Those close to me have learned that I only reply/respond to email :bassist:

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm about to change my wife over from AT&T to Cingular. I'll probably break down and get a cell phone too as it's only $9.99 to add another line and I found a place where I can get two Sony Ericsson T616 camera phones with bluetooth for free after rebates. So...we'll probably do that soon. I was looking at T-Mobile because of their great deals but they just don't coverage in some places that we will definitely need it.

brad cook

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've got T-mobile, and it's good sometimes, the prices and features are good, but the service, at least in Missouri, is really spotty. For example, I, my girlfriend, and my nextdoor neighbor all have different cell phones with T-mobile service. At no point in time have all three of us ever simultaneously had service in my house. But at no point have all three of us NOT had service at the same time here, either. And it's not always the same person losing it, either. And I the other day I was up in Kansas City and I couldn't get a signal ANYWHERE until I got out on the highway, far out of city limits.

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Cingular

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    T- Mobile is pretty much the only option in Gainesville.

13. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    In DC all of the carriers will work, but Verizon is the best. There's this big "black hole" in the middle of Old-Town/The GW Parkway where there is no service on anything else besides Verizon. AT&T works pretty well around here to, but not in the "black hole".

14. Same here with my t-mobile service. In my room I get full bars, anywhere else in the house it practically drops to zero reception. Weird.

15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got sprint, and I think it's alright. All my friends have AT&T, and they get INSANE service. It's always full bars, even in a small room inside a theater inside a hallway inside a school... I don't get reception in a lot of places...

16. My whole family back home is on Verizon, so I joined Verizon so we could use that "In" program, where you don't use up any of your minutes talking to family. It's great...no more long distance bills from calling home!

17. I refuse to answer this until someone puts "Cingular" up as an option on the poll.

:p

18. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  19. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I didn't even know that Cingular was still around to be honest with you... If a Mod wants to add it they certainly can. My apologies to the Cingular die-hard faithful. :crying: ;)

20. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Cingular :D