1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cell Phone Disdain Rant!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trayster2, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Am I the only one who can't stand them?

It seems no matter where I am or who I'm with, people just cannot put them away! I'll be having a conversation with someone and then all of a sudden, I realize I'm not really having a conversation, THEY are having the conversation with someone on a cell phone, and I am answering to someone else's conversation! Awkward. I just think it's sad that people would rather socialize this way, furiously mashing buttons to text, or talking aloud in public to a gadget!

BTW, yes, I DO own a cell phone.... it's a cheapo Tracfone used for emergency purposes only, and no, I'm NOT an "old-timer." I just prefer not to have my wallet raped every month.

2. Sounds like a problem with the people who you spend time with, not phones.

My mobile plan isn't too expensive, it works (unlike my landline) and it lets me keep in contact with my parents and the other half. Works for me.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I agree, it's your friends / associates lack of tact and politeness that's more to blame here...your anger is misdirected. Perhaps you should point that out to them, I fear more and more just consider it the norm and no harm...they're wrong.

My wallet gets "raped" 25 bux a month, and I don't think that's bad at all, for unlimited text and data.

4. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Wow, sounds like a great plan. What is it? What type of phone?

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    AT&T Go Phone. $25 a month, unlimited text, 300 phone minutes.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    In my circle of friends there was always a lot of intense staring at phones in social situation, but lately it's all work emails. It sucks growing up.

7. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Thanks!

8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I used to have wasted time in my life: elevator rides, driving my car, waiting for friends to stop talking, etc. Now I have a smartphone and my ability to refresh the posts on Talkbass is far more efficient.

9. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I have a mini computer wherever I go. I have a camera wherever I go. And a phone. I can communicate with my daughter at any time.
    I like cell phones. Makes my life easier. I don't need a phone to be rude. Lol

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    People who answer their phones while they are with you are being rude.

People who are talking about their bidness while I'm eating are rude. People who talk about their bidness and then go berserk because people are listening, not that there's a choice, are nutters.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Floyd Eye mentioned one option, tho it's not the one I use. I use the Virgin Mobile service, which is on the Sprint network. I am unsure if the GoPhone daily operational expense is there like it used to be (I think it was an auto-dollar a day charge if you used the phone that day or something), but mine is a flat-rate + taxes. And if you go over 300 minutes in a month, the per-minute rate after is 15 cents, not terrible. I've never gone over.

What's nice is the phone you buy is yours. You can buy the iPhone5S or C, and the outlay is higher than a plan, but the money you save over the year in per month rates and data plans is considerable.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans/overview/

12. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I have no hate for cell phones, but I don't like how they are becoming computers. I use my cell phone the same way I used the land line growing up, I call and receive calls. The only difference is that the answering machine is built in.

I'm very tech savvy so it's not like i don't understand how to use the fancy phones of today. but if i want to go online, ill go on my computer. if i want to take a picture, ill use my camera. if i want to make a phone call, ill use my phone.

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I love gadgets and tech. I have a Windows phone. I really like the fact that I can carry it with me and always have my phone, my calendars (work, personal, gigs), SMS, a camera, a video camera, web browser, music player, email accounts, GPS, maps, tuner, metronome, social media, news/sports news, tv/cinema schedules, alarm clock, calculator, flashlight et cetera et cetera et cetera in my pocket, wherever I am. I wouldn't want to go back to the days when you had to carry several gadgets around (camera, mp3 player, TomTom and so on) depending on what you were intending to do. Now, for example, I never get caught in a situation where I think "Damn, I wish I had a camera with me." In other words, I'd rather carry one item than several.

That said, I do understand the etiquette of when to look at my phone and when to pay attention to people. I wish more did.

14. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    ^this

But I like smartphones a bit too much, I wasn't getting any work done, and would drift off in the middle of a real, face-to-face conversation. I couldn't go 20 minutes without checking my e-mail or TB. Everywhere I went I had to bring my phone charger along. I finally realized that my phone owned me, so I gave it up for a phone without internet access. I can call, text, and take photos. I feel like my life is more balanced now.

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    LOL! must be something about NE Florida. Either that or we're both grumpy old men.:D

I'll admit to owning a cell phone. I couldn't tell you where it is right now. Probably in the car or my bass case. I buy minutes, they expire. I buy more, they expire...

and on top of all that, if you ever have the opportunity to have a conversation on an old school analogue phone with a land line, the difference in sound quality will be nothing less than astounding.

My wife can't breathe without hers.
    The drummer I work with is so incapable of unplugging from the matrix that he will text from behind the drums... during the show...in the middle of the friggan song...(seriously) if he thinks he can get away with it.

16. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    No, and you're also not the only one to blame the technology for people's lack of manners. I love my cell phone, but I don't ignore people I'm talking to so I can answer a call or send a text.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Nope. With tax $26.72/month. Period. Over minute phone use is $.10/minute.

18. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That's pretty great then! That's in line with what I pay...hmm, I imagine the coverage is a bit better in my area too...HHHHMMMMMMM ! Thanks man!

19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    [​IMG]

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    No tech weenie by any means, but a phone with a decent camera and email capability in a single handy little device that fits in my pocket is a real plus for me. I buy sell and trade a lot of different stuff found in a lot of odd places, and I like being able to take a pic and send it to a prospective buyer without having to carry multiple gadgets requiring the transfer of info from one to the other, or waiting till I get home to get that info distributed to potential buyers. Not to mention the time and gas saved in not having to go back to where the item is located to pick it up, provided someone else has not beat me to it, or gambling on something then holding it for a while. Easy transactions and quicker turnaround, it's all good for me.

Snap a pic and send it in minutes instead of hours or days. It's made a big difference in what I make off my little hobby. My income has jumped more than enough to cover the expense of having the ability.