Cell phone FCC Hullabaloo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, Nov 22, 2003.

1. The news has been making a big deal out of the recent FCC ruling or whatever that now allows you/us to "take your current phone number with you" to a different provider. The dramatic way they report it gives me the impression that millions of cell phone users have felt "hostage" to their providers because they have been scared to switch providers without being able to take their current phone number with them :eek:.

Do any of you relate to this?
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The cell phone companies here were forced to adapt to similar policy few months ago. Before that, the companies usually changed your number to similar than before if it was available, but each of the half a dozen companies had it's own "area code".

Now that the number stays absolutely same, it has made the competition bit fiercer, as it wasn't very practical to change your number every few months.

Doesn't touch me much, though. As my cell bills are rarely over 30 bucks I haven't felt the need for a change for minor price drop, so I've had the same number for the last five years.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I can somewhat understand it.

People who advertise a lot (or actually any at all) and use their cell phone number will not want to just up and change cell phone numbers if they have a problem with their service provider, so they will be much more likely to just stay with their current provider.
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think it's major news and about time. It made no sense that you couldn't keep the same number if you changed who your service provider was. The companies used this to their advantage, because you would more than likely stay with them the longer you had the number. People were held "hostage" because they couldn't freely change providers once their contract was up and keep the same number. This move opens up the competition and will be good for consumers overall. I expect service prices to to drop or more free minutes to be included as part of existing plans.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That's a good step. The mobile phone companies still have their ways to shackle you, though. Everything you get from them comes with a commitment attached... a new phone (sure, you could pay a jacked-up price to avoid the commitment, they getcha either way), or any change in service plan. Those practices bother me more than number portability.

6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    It won't last much longer. As land lines phase out, competition will increase among wireless service providers, and contracts will probably be a thing of the past.