Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cell Phone providers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Jun 24, 2005.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Who's your cell provider?

I recently locked in with Alltel and kinda regret it. I seem to lose a good deal of calls when talking from inside the house.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    could be the model of phone, or it could be crappy signal from them. You may voice this concern with them, and see what they'll do to help.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Our family switched to Verizon after 10 years with AT&T. I really like Verizon. We are happy we switched.

-Mike

4. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Dito.

I had Suncom for years, then they went downhill on the switch to Cingular.

I love Verizon...great coverage, and cheap plans.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cass,

There have been a couple of extensive threads in the fairly recent past on this that you might find helpful. Do a search.

brad cook

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Personally I am with t-mobile as main cell phone provider... before t-mobile i had Verizon and sprint... I also have cingular as prepaid sim card...

What can i say...

T-mobile is pretty good... GSM network in states is still under development so it will be some time before its great... but i see improvements every year... more and more towers... down side is they expend in large cities first and not yet in areas where there is town every 40 miles with 5 people living in each town... they told me they are going to finish up big cities before they move there simply because there are more customers and more money to be made in big cities...

Cingular... not bad... in big areas they oversell... more expensive then t-mobile… customer service not as great..

Sprint was crap... real crap...

Verizon... good signal, way too expensive, its CDMA... while everyone in world uses GSM they want to be special...

But mostly reason I went away from them is their stupid customer service...
    Bunch of rude morons… They accidentally send me to collective agency for fake bill that no one ever seen... When I got the letter from collective agency I called Verizon customer service. After asking why, the lady I was on phone with yelled at me for 5 minutes with out letting me talk. Then she refused to put me through supervisor while even calling my names.

Then finally when I got supervisor on phone and calmly explained what happen (through out the whole thing I didn’t raise my voice what so ever). He told me it was their mistake in the system and it was not my fault, but there is nothing they can do. Then suddenly his tone switched and he told me it was my fault because: "its *my* responsibility to call every month to find out if I have any more bills left" Not that they should send me bills but I have to call every company I am with and find out if I have any fake bills made up by accident and never sent to me...

Then with out saying anything more he hung up... When I called back talked to other supervisor and gave them names and ID's of people I talked to he told me I was a liar and no such people work for them and hung up again...

I paid bill collectors and terminated them...

Verizon is good company quality wise... but if you go with them... i hope you don’t get into this kind of crap... All I have to say is… I was paying them around $80 a month… they lost $80 a month because of bill for $15… yes all of this was because of fake bill generated by accident by their system for $15.

Cheers

7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Sprint...they're horrible when it comes to billing.

8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I use T-Mobile. I'm pretty satisfied with them. For the couple times that I needed it, their customer support was surprisingly good. Their coverage is good where I am, but lacks quite a bit outside of cities. They're honest about their coverage though.

http://coverage.t-mobile.com/Compass2/MapPage.asp

Thats a map of their coverage down to street level which shows you the signal you can expect to get at any given point in the US. It's pretty accurate from my experience.

9. They all bone you in every way possible and are good candidates for the prized title "Corporate Evil". They also have the phone manufacturers hooked so you're boned when buying phones too, so those are of equally low quality. I personally use verizon.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Verizon for all phones since 97 :)

11. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I unfortunately have Verizon. See, when I signed up for the plan, it was supposed to be me and my girl (at the time) Sometimes you can't see some things comin down the road and she ends up leaving me for some fat*** and screwing me over on a 200$ phone bill :mad: ....sorry getting off topic.

I get a decent signal, except for when I take calls at my house, or anywhere in my town, so that kinda pisses me off. Other than that they have decent cust. service, and the plan isn't all that expensive. They won't cut me a deal on the ex-gf's line, I'd have to pay 175$ to cancel it, so I guess I'm stuck with it. Oh well, whatya gonna do?

Oog :meh:

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's part of the contract with all providers, it's not their fault your relationship didn't work out. Sorry dude that's on you!

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, I have to pay $200 if I cancel my contract with them. Whats pissing me off is that anytime I call from inside my house (mobile home) I have severe signal degridation and constantly lose many of my calls that I'm on. If I go outside, I have no problems with signal reception and losing calls. I feel that I shouldnt have to go outside just to make a clear call.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

That's a problem that's often associated with GSM. Is alltel a GSM network?

brad cook

15. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    +1

The phones also suck.

I hate the fact cell phone service companies and cell phone manufacturers go into exclusive partnerships.

For example, Nextel uses Motorola phones exclusively. Which sucked when I had them because Moto wasn't into high tech phones like the RAZR then. Now I have sprint and they're mostly Samsung and low end Nokias which are so cheap quality wise. All I want is a good phone! :crying:

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Actually, I've found that Nextel is one of the better providers, in terms of service "cut-outs" and stuff like that.

With Nextel, I can travel from LA to Vegas, and not suffer "any" cutouts, not even over the hills near Baker.

I can't say that for any other provider.

Yes, they're a pain in the *ss. Everyone is.

And they're expensive as hell, compared to the others.

But when it comes right down to it, it's a matter of how many repeaters they have, and where they're located.

What say you?

17. I've been with Rogers for a few months now after being with Bell for 5 years.(Canada) I miss Bell.... :( I haven't been having a very good time with the very expensive Rogers.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I switched earlier this month-for awhile, i had been on Virgin Prepaid as my parents weren't willing to pay for one [mom didn't have the money.......dad didn't see the point]. So i paid for my own cell phone for about 2 years. My dad put me on his Verizon plan for college so that i don't have to have a job my first year.

Coverage/quality

Virgin-it's cheap, what do you expect? Signal wasn't very good where i'm at. I don't know if it was the phone or the signal or what-but i got a ton of echos whenever i was on the phone. I'd go back to Virgin however if i had to pay for my own cell.

Verizon-i dig it so far. I have a long distance number for when i'm at home [phone is based out of my dad's account in Indy]. So that's the main downfall. The other comment i have-isn't a problem with them, but just a feature thing that i think is pretty dumb for practicality reasons while making perfect sense for money reasons. The USB kit for the LG6200 [i think that's the model]-the only thing that is used for is the phone book where as-it makes sense to me for that to be able to transfer pictures that you take on your phone to a computer. Oh well-so i bought a digital camera.

That's all

19. At the beginning of this year i switched from t-mobile to att/cingular. BAD IDEA. They're too busy spending money on commercials advertising how good the signal is, but apparently they havent been spending any money on actually improving the reception. I had ATT 3 years ago, and I got better reception then, even though now there's all this merging network junk. In 6 months I'll probably switch to verizon, but maybe i'll go back to t-mobile.

20. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Verizon here. I get service everywhere (pretty much.) I get all 5 bars in my basement. The only place I don't get it in GP (where I live) is in the place where I get my Student Driver lessons... it's roaming which is very odd.