Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cell phone services in central Texas

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    As you can probably tell, I'm now in central Texas (Waco). I transferred my Cingular service from my hometown of Ardmore, Oklahoma.

I was relatively satisfied with the service I got from Cingular in Ardmore, but down here it just plain SUCKS. In addition to the service itself being terrible here, their customer service and billing department has gotten on my very last nerve (when I transferred my service, I got "double jeopardy"--they charged me for both numbers, plus went retroactive with it about 2 weeks, so I was charged over $180 for 1 month of service that in reality is only $49.99). I'm sick of dealing with them

[/rant] ;)

Anyways, my real question is this--what service does everyone use, and how are the various aspects of it (service [reception], customer service, billing, etc}? I would like to hear opinions of those from the central Texas area around Waco, but I know thats not very many people at all.

Thanks in advance.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My wife has AT&T and it seems to work well. We're in Temple. Ask some upperclassmen what they use.

On an unrelated note...I might be moving up to Waco in May if my wife decides to do her residency there...it's her current top candidate.
    We were there Friday night for that balloon-glow/concert thing at Floyd Casey Stadium. My old band played a few gigs in Waco too but we just broke up so no more of that.

brad cook

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

How was the balloon glow? I heard it was just OK, but who knows :meh:

The only thing I dislike about AT&T is the fact that their Nationwide Long Distance is only good in major cities and along the interstate. If I went home, I'd be roaming.

4. yeah, cingular does infact suck down here...I used it for a while, and just cancelled service with them.

All of my friends recomended AT&T, so thats the route I'm headed for. All IMO/IME.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah it was so-so. I got some good pictures from it though so that's something I guess.

brad cook

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    One last bump.....:D

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    hey Ty,

I've hesitated to post because I haven't spent much time in Waco. I have, however, been quite satisfied with Verizon's service in all my travels through Texas - and seeing as you're on the I-35 corridor and in a populated area, I can't imagine you beginning to have any signal trouble - which would be about the only issue I couldn't address for you. I can reccomend Verizon with as much tepid enthusiasm as I can muster for any huge 'congloropration.' They offer a reasonably priced Texas-wide plan that offers you no roaming charges anywhere you can get signal. Don't know where "home" is to you, so I guess you might need to check on nationwide plans, too. Customer service has been decent (stellar compared to SBC). My younger brother felt he was getting shafted by Cingular in Huntsville, but I don't know any details on that situation. I've been using Verizon for the past 2-3 years and in that time, coverage has gotten better, minutes have gotten cheaper, and I haven't had any major complaints.

Works for me. Hope that helps...

:)