cell phone signal booster?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jun 22, 2005.

1. hi folks,
    so has anyone tried one of these? http://cellphoneamp.com/
    it appears it boosts the signal of your cell phone...has anyone ever tried one of these things? they look like they are either genius, or a scam. do they work?
    otherwise, has anyone ever bought a product similar to this one?

2. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

But if scan works... it makes then geniuses right away
  3. Kaboom

Jun 13, 2005
    theoretically, those pick up the stray radiation and re-direct it towards the phone antenna. Does the principle make sense? yes. Do they work? Depends on who u ask and what kind of phone you're using.
    I had friends for whom it DID work, and i saw it, but it didnt on my ericsson t630.
    Lots of people says it works, just because it didnt for me doesnt make it total crap. I wont, however, be buying another one when i get a new phone
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Did your friend have very old cell phone?

Realistically it depends on type of phone and if antenna in the phone is any good...

If antenna is crap then it will boost you up a bit... but it won’t make it anywhere close to a good cell phone antenna (reception)... if it’s a good cell phone then its very useless…

Reason is... even though it’s a booster its very small one and its internal... Internal is not as great as antenna that sticks out because all electronics and your hand kinda worsens signal... and since the booster is internal and so weak being so close to electronics kind of kills it anyway…
  5. ok, so i've got an LG PM-325...any chance anyone might know if that works? :D
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Personally i doubt it...

it was released last year (i think Mid 2004) so i assume its ok phone

If you having problems with it i would think its more so your carried (sprint right)

If my assumption is right and you have sprint... Sprint has problems... i am sure there are people that like it but compare to other carriers i think they kinda suck... sorry:)

You could try... i mean its shouldn’t cost too much... but i really think its your provider...

7. yeah, i'm on sprint pcs...but of course for 8 bucks + free shipping, thats a small investment.
    and it does have the internal antenna, so maybe it might help a little...i dunno.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah i was gona say... its pretty cheap to acctually try the booster out... you can try... Do you get a lot of analog reception on that phone? maybe in analog mode it might help you out:/

I personally never been a huge fan of those things but maybe they will work for you:/

i have yet seen it work yet:/
  9. one more thing...it can't hurt the signal can it?
  10. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    nah... plus its removable...

Some argue that it increases radiation...
  11. Faggheddaboudit...

Look, it has no power source, so energy can't be created out of thin air. So it doesn't boost the signal.

Maybe it focuses the signal onto the antenna... hmmmm well, if it focuses the signal it must be directional, so you'd have to point it toward the cell tower to be effective. Know which way the tower is? Nope? Me neither.

And while its pointing away from the tower, it reduces the signal from/to the tower. That's annoying when you receive signals, but when transmitting, reducing the signal means the transmitter has to increase its transmit power to compensate, which means more RF energy going into your brain. And reduced talk time from additional battery drain to supply extra power to the transmitter.

They're rating the cell phones now, lower RF the better off you are. Don't know if they've proven the link between RF and brain cancer, but if a little might be bad, less is better.

If you want to send a stranger some money, send me the $8.00. I'll send you a leather prayer cross blessed by Reverend Randy. If enough people do it so I can quit my day job, my slogan can be:

"It changed my life, it could change your's too!".

Antennas are tuned to the frequencies the phone is using. Its length is a fraction of the wavelength of the radio freq, think of it like harmonics on a bass string. If you break part of the antenna off, you change the length, you're not getting optimal performance at the correct freqs, replace it. The out-of-tune antenna causes bad reception, requires more RF power to reliably reach the cell tower. Even if the brain thing doesn't pan out, longer battery life is worthwhile.

12. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    It didnt work for my nextel. You can typically find them on ebay for about 3 bucks shipped.
  13. Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I guess boosting the rf signal would be bad for humans? Same also for a true-diversity phone possibly (two antennas, two transmitters and receivers)? Oh well, I guess we're stuck with drop-outs even though it's 2005 AD.

BTW, I wish I had a mobile-phone jammer. I could then get the attention of "bottle-neckers" on the highway blocking traffic...

14. Doubt that gizmo could actually boost the signal, I think its in the shinola department but belongs in the "other" department.

Diversity could be a good thing, it could switch to the one that has the best reception, uses the lowest power signal of the two. That would make it better.

Just not sure how that would work without getting the 2 antennas physically apart from each other. Why would one antenna be better than the other. Like guitar wireless, they're at opposite ends of the rack, antennas at different angles. Since they're different orientations, locations, one might be blocked and not the other. The closer they get, the closer they get to indistinguishable signal wise.

At some point its like hiding an extra $50 in your wallet to cover you in case your wallet gets stolen.... :D Requires seperation to make it effective...

15. Funny how it says "works on any mobile phone", but you read at the bottom of the page it has a list of phones that it does not work with... :)
  16. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, if you want to try one of those, I think the dollar store near here sells them. They are the same things.
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just do what I did. I bought a new screw in antenna for my phone that looks like the normal little stubby non-extendable antennas but you could actually extend it a bit (a little less than 3 inches maybe). It did increase the signal while extended. I broke it though so now I'm back to my old one. :( My wife's is still fine. I got them off Ebay.

brad cook

brad cook
  18. so you are saying no?

anyways, brad, thats an idea, but the phones got an internal antenna
  19. I'm a little skeptical...

Assuming the new antenna is also the correct length, a real antenna, only bigger than stock could help. Gotta hope they bothered making it the right length.... Bigger, but randomly bigger isn't better. Bigger, but still a fraction of the wavelength for the bands used by the phone is better. AFAIK, anyway.

20. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Also, for antennas, there is a balance of impedance that has to be close to a certain value for the antenna to work properly.