Cell Phone survey

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Hey all,

I've never posted in this category, but since I saw "Off Topic" in the mix, I thought I'd try my hand.

I'm new to the cell phone biz. I just got one today after a lot of **** from my buddies and girlfriend. I gotta admit it's pretty nice to have the easy access and convenience that fits in my hand.

I got a basic Nokia 2285 that came free with my plan. The only thing is, I'm already thinking of changing my service plan(and possibly phone!) for another. I have 14 days to play with this one before I am beholden to the contract of 2 years. Otherwise, I face a stiff $200 fine if I decide to quit this service.

As of now, I am a new member with Surewest. I was looking at a brochure that my gf got from T-Mobile, and I'm starting to like their features better.

Anyone have either Surewest or T-Mobile, and can you give some feedback.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  3. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

Uh........thanks clay.
  4. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Don't look at a company's features so much as their 'service area'. If your phone doesn't get service it doesn't really matter how many free text messages you get in a month.
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

had it for 3 months now... with v300, like it alot :D

Few things you got to remember is... cell phone usually matters too for quality of calls etc... i have v300, its great phone.

I'd break it down like this... my opinion of cell phone companies

Verizon - great reception... probably better one that covers most of places but feature wise... not too good, and expensive... my internet on tmobile is 4.99$ a month unlimited verizon 4.99 + every min you spend connected... if you want unlimited its like 45$ a month...
    I hate their customer service... their billing messed up and sent me to collective agents for 30$ (i had no idea i owned them 30$ and they didn’t either... they couldn’t find out why) in the end some lady got on the phone and started screaming and calling me names for no reason... called next day to report they told me that 1) i never called them before about this and 2) non of the names i clamed to talk to look like anything that ever worked in company....) ya i switched from them... tried to get it fixed some times but nothing worked so i am bitter on verizon

Cingular, never had it... i hear its ok and now especially when they bought att they will probably go better in coverage wise...

Tmobile in my opinion is great... coverage wise its ok... has few dead spots... and very much depends where u live (go to local tmobile store they will give you detailed map on PC of like every street in area, what’s covered what’s not and what is kinda covered)... there are only few in here bay area, also tmobile isn’t great inside buildings... but here are the good news... this year they are adding like 7000 new towers in US all to improve existing coverage so i assume it will get better and better... otherwise besides idea that i have to walk outside to get clear call i really like them... inet is great... saved me few F's too (in class just look things up real quick and boom i know the subject... goggle + cell rules)

Sprint…. I had it… oh god sprint… I think they are worthless some think they are ok… but worthless is way to go :D

Nextel seems ok from what I hear never looked into it

Boost is new thing I think its Nextel company for middle age soccer moms who want to fit in to seem “cool” with their kids and embarrass them in front of their friends…

metroPCS is worthless . bad bad company :D

Hope this helps

All my opinion for bay area though

I know its really hard to decide... i've been kinda happy with verizon antil they ruined my credit history...
    Now tmobile i am happy with even though i get few dropcalls a month

BTW tmobile has 14day trial too

6. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll say this...

Everyone is different because of the areas that you live in, the specific features you need, and most of the companies offer 14 day trials. After selling different cell phone carriers for 2 years, T-Mobile is not one of my favs. Verizon (despite whatever problems kserg had... that sux btw man) is one of the best, as is AT&T (before they merged with cingular, but I've continued to hear good things). Sprint is not as bad as people think, I live in Cali and have had sprint for 4 years... never had a single problem, never went to use my phone and not had it work.

I would avoid the smaller companies like MetroPCS and it looks like Surewest is specific to the Sacramento region. Which means... guess what? If you EVER travel out of the area, your phone will either A. Not work B. you will be charged 'roaming' minutes which are insanely expensive.

Companies with localized coverage ALWAYS offer great services and cheap features, because that is the only way they will get customers. I would stay away from any of these carriers and move towards a national company, regardless of whether or not you will traveling the country.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Did you get your phone within the last month? Your carrier might have a 30 day cancellation policy. Check your contract.

If you've had the phone for over 30 days or if no cancellation policy is available, You'll have to ride it out or pay the fee. No two ways about it. Sorry.
  8. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

Yes, I just bought it yesterday. In fact, I spoke with the customer service chick and she said the same thing you did. Thank God.

As for T-Mobile, it looks pretty good. Vbass, why aren't you so big on them? Just curious.

Yeah, I think Verizon is too rich for my needs right now. It will either be Cingular or T-Mobile, me thinks. I will take my phone in tomorrow and terminate my service with Surewest. The coverage is just too limited. I should have realized this sooner. But, hey, live and learn, right?

Thanks everyone. :)
  9. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I've got a pretty sweet T-Mobizzle plan. It's the Get More Nationwide. This has 600 whenever minutes and unlimited nights & weekends. woot. works great since i don't really have much of a house phone here in my college dorm
  10. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't like T-Mobile because when I worked for them (about 1 year ago) their coverage really did suck, ie: anything off the beaten path was a no go. And we had a lot of customer problems. Way more so than for the other carriers I sold: Verizon, Sprint, Cingular, etc. But that's just my experience. :) Seems like other people have had good luck with them.
  11. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've got T-mobile, and the only bad thing I've noticed is the coverage is really terribly spotty. And inconsistent. I, my girlfriend, and my next door neighbor all have T-mobile phones. At no point in time have all three of us ever had service while in my house. BUT, at no point in time have all three of us ever NOT had service here. Huge variations...Also, if I sit on the left end of my front steps, I get no service. On the right side, three bars worth. I notice coverage like that a lot.
  12. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Much like Kserg I also have T-Mobile with a Motorola V300. No major complaints. I had heard all kinds of horror stories on the internet about T-Mobile before I joined up (especially about their customer service), but I spoke to my friends who have T-Mobile and they said they loved their service. It was partly the reason I joined T-Mobile because I get free T-Mobile to T-Mobile calls on my plan which comes in handy because a good deal of my friends have T-Mobile. Coverage hasn't been a problem for me. Building penetration could be a little better, but it's not that bad.
  13. I'm on Cingular, and down by USC it's pretty good. Out by UCLA it gets little more than nothing at any of my friends' houses. (Shock horror! A Trojan friends with Bruins! HANG HIM!)

Yes, well, I was never too keen on any of the phones they have in the US. Sure, I see some of my friends who have upgraded their phones and they seem rather nice, but then when I come back to Hong Kong, for the same price (free trade ins included), I could get a MUCH nicer phone. much nicer tri-band phone.

So if anyone wants a used Nokia 6100 in excellent condition, let me know. ;)
  14. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Funny you should mention the Hong Kong thing. I went there a few years ago with some buddies and we were amazed at the accessability of the latest tech gadgetry over there. I mean, we saw features on phones that are standard on phones, now, but were then, novelty and experimental. It's like a testing ground over there, and eventually we get the cool stuff later. I loved Hong Kong, and wish to go back. As well, I loved Shanghai.
  15. Actually, if you really want to see some spiffy phones, learn to read Japanese. Once you're able to do that, then go to Japan and check out the phones they have over there. :p
  16. everytime I see the name of this thread I think I see cell phone surgery and I think :eyebrow: then I think :rolleyes: I know thats not what it said, I just looked at it 2 minutes ago thinking :eek: WHAT!?!
  17. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

I'd love to learn Japanese. I have to finish mastering German, though. Speaking of German technology what do y'all think of Siemens phones? Great? Comparable? Eh?