1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cell phone VR

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn, May 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I got a new phone and it can be used with those VR headsets. Anyone use these? I do a fair amount of gaming on my phone and the idea of virtual reality is definitely appealing, but it's not a holodeck. I have reasonable expectations. But is it fun? Will it be cool for ten minutes and then take up space on my shelf?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I think that's a good way to get started.

I was excited about the whole VR thing about a year ago. Searched like a MoFo for a good headset, which was entertaining. On Amazon, every headset advertised has at least 50 BS reviews, that are really obvious. I wound up buying a reasonably priced headset and paid something like $25 (the price had been dropped from $50). They were OK, I guess, but they hurt my nose. What hurt more was I left a review, and not that long ago while reading through my Amazon reviews I saw they dropped the price to $5. Bottom line, buying VR goggles is tricky business.

As for the actual VR stuff, unless I'm missing something, most of it is still horrible. I just got a Samsung S9 and wanted to give it a go again. All I was able to find were vids that made it seem as though I were in a room with scenery painted on the walls. Not impressive at all.

I'd advise doing as you said. Get the cheapos. If you start enjoying it, then make an investment.

Also please post links if you find anything worth me breaking mine out again :).

Low84 and Gorn like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I forgot to take into consideration how terrible my vision is. This stuff might be entertaining. I don't know. I can't see it that close to my face.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    If you're nearsighted ya dont need goggles :). I actually started a thread about this once. You can hold your phone up to you nose/eyes with you glasses off and get crystal clear 3D images.

FWIW, all my VR threads were about as popular as this one is.

6. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks, Mr. Nerve! I too use Samsung phones that have VR capability, am getting close to upgrading and I've been curious about picking up a headset (haven't yet). Similar to your experience, all the VR stuff I've experienced when I'm in mobile phone store has been boring and lame.

Guess I'll keep waiting for things to get good.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I've messed around with it on my Pixel and it's pretty alright. Very much pales in comparison to my Vive setup. The phone VR experience leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. I may be biased due to the Vive, since it's such a better experience in all ways.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021