1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cell phone with gps and lots of storage

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I want an iphone really bad.
    Look great, and ots of features.
    But I think it's overkill for my needs and also rogers here in canada is very expensive. The charge close to 80$ to use the iphone.

Is there any other cell phone out there with a gps and 10 gig or more storage so I can use as an Ipod also?

2. My 3G is nice... but it ain't cheap.... and I hear you Canadians are getting the shaft for plans.

Wait a few months for it to get cracked, maybe a data plan will open up

3. Nokia N95 or get a blackberry curve and add memory! N95 is cheaper!

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I was going to recommend the iPhone. I love mine. It's the older 8 gig model. Looks like you already recommended it to yourself in the OP. :D

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Palm Treos can add GPS (newer ones may come with it, I dunno), and use standard SD cards so you can upgrade to whatever you want.

6. Bass Thunder

Bass Thunder Supporting Member

If GPS is your main focus, get a small hand held Garmin GPS. They cost about as much as a good phone but the "service" is absolutely free and will work in areas that don't have cell coverage - like on the ocean, mountains, and other non-coverage areas. I have additional software with all the city streets and ATM's, gas stations etc.

An iPhone is tough to beat in all-around multi-purpose category though.

7. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have the Treo,
    I also recently purchased a Magellan GPS, I was sold on the GPS when at the store I typed in my favorite chain restaurant and sure enough it was able to take me there. I guess it has over six million points of interest. I was sold.

8. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Helio (now owned by Virgin Mobile) has a great phone, The Ocean, that i love. I switched to it from the SideKick.. The Ocean is 3G, GPS (i use google maps with traffic view all the time), still/vid cam (kinda weak but does the job), stereo BT, takes up to 4GB miniSD (loaded mine up with tons of videos and movies), Full Access to YOUTUBE/Myspace. The apps installer has been hacked, so there are plenty of free software to add to it now.

9. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Samsung Instinct on Sprint. Native GPS, up to 8G of storage, live streaming TV and radio, email, etc.

$129 at BestBuy (they give you the instant rebate on the spot) and $69/mo for unlimited data and nights n weekends.

Oh yeah, EVDO RevA is faster than 3G too. I have hacked the phone to tether it to my laptop and I am getting up to 1.5M on speedtest.net!!!!!

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It seems like most of the phones that are being mentioned cannot compete with the storage of the iPhone. Why can't more companies make a decent phone with large internal flash memory?!

bc

11. Because they are in fact Phones (with accesories) not Multimedia monsters like the iPhone. hehe
    :)

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    For what it's worth, I love my iPhone.

13. Bass Thunder

The biggest problem with the iPhone is that you use it ALL the time for EVERYTHING and you have to keep an eye on the battery charge.

There is even a multi track recording application for it - Audio and midi combined, imported tracks, whatever. Whenever you need to work on your tunes sitting in the bar or doctors office ;)

Too much.

14. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Samsung Instinct, ive seen a comerical for this, i have a samsung now and u can beat the living hell out of it and it keeps on rollin, id say go for it.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    I have an HTC Polaris / Cruise...

Its touch screen.

Full GPS with TOM TOM Navigation software (so dont have to pay any fee's and easly update maps).

Has a Micro SD slot for up to 8GB I think they have now?

THey came out with a new one called the Diamond thats a little smaller and slightly faster processor...

http://www.htc.com/www/default.aspx

large1.jpg

16. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    This is true. I get about thirty hours of use on a charge. Though supposedly a large part of that is because mine is jailbroken as well.

17. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    thanks a lot!
    We will go cell phone shopping this week end.
    I will let you know what I am coming back with.

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
  19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got a Nokia 6110 Navigator. It's very similar to the N95, but much cheaper and not quite as well spec'ed on paper. Even still, I love mine - I can't fault it!

20. Bass Thunder

There are some good phones, but anyone interested needs to know that not all phones work with the American 3G. Many phones are designed to work only on the European 3G (different mHz). Pick a phone and do a bit of spec home work to make sure before you plunk down $$$.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021