Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cell phones: Does raising the antenna do anything?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 16, 2004.

1. In your experience, does raising the antenna on your cell-phone yield any incrrease in signal quality? I tend to doubt that it does anything at all.

(Oh, and just as a side note, I get pissed at companies when their crappy phone breaks after 4 months of no abuse. I get even more pissed when I take said phone in for a replacement under warranty, and they charge $50 because I'm missing some crappy itty-bitty rubber piece that doesn't do anything.)

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    On a Sprint Sanyo 8100, not that I notice.

3. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Mst cell phones don't even have expandable antennas anymore. I'd imagine that they wouldn't help signal quality much at all.

4. I really don't think they are meant to increase signal strength, but to be able to keep it connected.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Heh, I was just playing with my phones antenna, I never extend it, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything these days, since signal strength is so strong in the city anyway. Heck, I can even unscrew my antenna and still get a weak signal.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Most phones in the UK dont even have external antennaes anymore.

I guess thats because we're opn a dual band digital network and you're on a Tri-Band net.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

They make no difference until the signal is almost zero and their is obviously no digital signal.

8. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Antennas are on your phone for one reason. To get broken.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

:D

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yes - it decouples the antenna from your big mellon! Your body mass makes the antenna more directional - it helps alleviate that.

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It's just there to make you think you can get more signal. When my Nextel decides I've talked long enough it lets me know by dropping my call. :(
    Hey it's free through work so I shouldn't complain.

But I do. :p

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I doubt there's a difference if it's half an inch away from your nugget, or half an inch :p

It's the same thing as phones with internal antennas; the manufacturers have created perfectly nice internal antennas, but some still put good old knobby antennas on the phones. Why? The customers like to think that the reception is better..

I've never understood why americans have to make answering the phone so difficult. Pull up the antenna first, then open the flap.. Just push the button like the rest of us, gdangit! I myself have been antenna-free - external at least - for six years, I swapped to Nokia 3210 the day it appeared in the stores.

Historical view: http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2003/wthantenn-en.shtml