Cell Phones, part two

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike N, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I didn't want to derail MM's already going cell phone thread, so I'll start a new one.

What's the deal with downloading all sorts of stuff into a phone? Entire songs? Ringtones? Games? Internet access?

It's a PHONE. It was made for making and receiving calls. Heck, my Son can even download stuff into his calculator (I wish he'd download some homework into it).

Every time I turn around I'm seeing some sort of ad for a new phone (or feature) that allows you to download this, that and everything else.

Maybe I'm too old to understand, but I just don't see the point.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I must be too old also. :D

I'm with ya Mike. I have a plain old Motorola phone. I had a hard time finding a plain phone without all the gadgets built into it. The salesperson I got the phone from looked at me like I was crazy when I told him I had no interest in a camera/MP3player/Internet/Bluetooth/AIM/Blah/Blah/Blah phone.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A friend of mine has a smartphone with a mini keyboard and a big touch-screen. It is basically more powerful than the average computer from 4 or 5 years ago. It has internet wherever it goes, and it also has a streets and maps program for when there isn't internet available(rare).

It is a very useful tool for getting directions, getting unlost, and helping people with directions(whenever I'm lost anywhere I call him first cause he's guaranteed to be able to help faster than anyone else could)

So, that is a very nice function that I think is invaluable.

My phone has a camera on it, one of the highest quality available on any phone, the pictures it takes aren't superb, but you can see what is going on with them. I can take about 50 pictures, and I can take video clips(again, not superb quality, but good enough to see what's happening). This has been very useful to have for showing people things via picture messaging, and for documenting various neat things that have popped up in my hanging out. It's more of a toy feature, but I still enjoy it.

My phone also does everything else the modern advanced phone does, I barely use any of that stuff. But the camera is neat.
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    :D I have the same thing going on. My son is getting a little better with his homework though.

My phone is a Nextel i90. It's nothing fancy by todays standards but I can check my email on it. It has a blueish screen with black writing and I've managed to make it last 3 years. Both my wife and my son have fancy camera phones.
    I like to keep it old school. And also I don't pay a dime for mine through my job. They have told me to upgrade my phone but I don't see the point.
  5. It's just more convenient to have an all in one package to most of those people, they don't care about quality of the camera, phone, mp3 player, just the fact that they can have it all in one handheld device.

What I am REALLY looking forward to is becoming a borg. Once they make the ultimate all in one units that have top quality mp3 player, hard drive, cell phone, camera, etc, and make it into a transdermal inplanted device. My idea is that the main screen and keyboard will run lengthwise on our forearm for function. Probaly a 2x4 inch screen and keypad. Of coarse these will initially be giant armbands like glitch on reboot or leela's armband on futurama, but there will be earchips for the phone and music implanted close to our ears, and little wireless transmitters for them.

They could probaly do it already, but before they do they have to make sure that they are completely indestructable if someone falls out of a car or down stairs and everything. The first one to short it out and get electricuted will cause so much controversy and sueing of the company. So this is probaly already in the works. The way that we will charge our internal devices will probaly plug in near our feet/ankle, and we will have them built into our beds.

Yes, the ultimate cell phone indeed.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    The next phone I get will have Bluetooth so I can use it, along with my Palm PDA, to access the intarweb and send messages...

7. My wife and I both have Razr's. We'd always resisted the 'next coolest' phone gig and would only get what would allow us to make calls. We broke down and paid out of pocket for a nicer phone.
    I have to say, I enjoy many of the extra features. Being able to snap a quick (but crappy) picture when you forget your camera. Customizing a ring with a song YOU like and not the stuff they're schlepping at T-Mobile. Using GarageBand, I cut 15 or 20 second snippets and save to mp3. I bluetooth them over to my phone and BAM! custom ringtone.
    I'm right where I want to be with my phone technology. I do agree that many phones/pda's do WAY too much and most of it NOT particularly well either. I'm a huge Apple fan but the Motorola Rokr didn't interest me in the least - I have an iPod!

oh yeah, and what's with the blinky bluetooth earpiece idiots? Hey, i understand monday through friday, lunch hour, work stuff but I've seen these things on and used at the gym, in a restaurant on a friday or saturday night. sometimes I think people want to be seen and let people know THEY'RE important.

rant over.
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Hey no fair. No one gets hostile with this thread starter. But as soon as I rant about cell phones the Berlin Wall comes down on me.
  9. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    IBM's been all over this since the late '80s. And yes, I , too, will be the first on my block with an ethernet jack implanted in my head.

Having said that, I don't get the download-the-entire-world-on-my-phone thing, either. I resisted getting a cell phone for years, got one last October so I wouldn't miss studio work 'cause I was at my day job. While I could see map and e-mail functions for business or social purposes, the ringtones are generally horrible (I have my phone set to an old-school 1950's bell. I can hear it in the middle of guitar solos at rehearsal :D ), the games are lame (I really wanted to like those, too), and who cares about wallpaper on a phone? For the price, I could buy an entire calendar of whatever it is I wanna look at. Cameras are kinda neat, too, I guess, but I have enough pictures on my hard drive that I hardly look at as it is, thank you. Having an electronic leash with a Swiss Army Knife's worth of functions and a manual bigger than my XP troubleshooting guide doesn't interest me much, I guess.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, like any of us want to mess around with Mike N. :D

He'll do donuts on your head, and then lay a patch of rubber in your driveway so big that you'll....nevermind, nothing funny came to my mind to end that with. :D

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I've got a digital camera, a cell phone, and an iPod. I can understand not wanting to lug multiple gadgets around. But, I'm just not interested in any of what I think of as "half-way-there" technology just yet. The all-in-one phones seem to be getting pretty good, but I'm always hearing secondhand comments about how the pictures aren't that good and that the ipod phone takes a long time to download.

Hey, more power to you if these are for you. I'll wait a while and see how much better they can get. In the meantime, please don't run me off the road while you're driving/downloading/talking/photographing/typing/etc., please!:D
  12. :bag:
  13. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i just want a phone that works right. :bawl:

too many times mine shuts its self off when ever i try to go through the menus while it is busy flapping moving wall papers and icons around.

having to go through camera/bluetooth/calendar/game menus to dial is a little absurd to me.

meh, i am just getting too old too.
  14. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    If they could make a reliable phone that can make reliable phone calls.....I'd be all over that. Unfortunately I can't speak for the majority of the younger crowd who are obssessed with the latest and greatest piece of overpriced junk that comes out from any mobile phone company. I myself have a Nokia brick phone as I call it, color screen and nothing else. Oh wait....it has a voice recorder. How cool is that?
    I have also gotten several weird looks from sales associates when I ask them to give me a phone that makes phone calls, since most phones have a problem accomplishing that task.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm too old for it as well, and I'm 18.
  16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Cell phones are very important. I use mine as an alarm clock.
    My last semester in high school, I didn't have a cell phone. I was the only one of the people I know who didn't care. :D
  17. same here...i have bluetooth, camera, etc, but i only use the alarm clock, phone and i will get a game occasionally to keep me busy while waiting for class to start...
  18. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Yeah, what he said!

Actually, I'm thinkin' we'll 'wheel out the Blazer for this one. Seeing as you have a lifted truck as well, care to join me, Mike?
  19. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Anyone care to tell me what "bluetooth" is?