Cell phones - who uses theirs for email?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jan 13, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm in the process of changing carriers to AT&T GSM, and am getting a Smartphone - one of the newer Motorola MPx200 jobbies that runs a midget version of Windows. My goal is to replace my cell and PDA with a single device, which this does quite nicely - it will sync with Outlook, can play MP3s (and has a SD memory card slot for storage) and does a bunch of other things, too.

I'm probably getting the ball and chain a Samsung 426, which appears to be a typical newer phone with a color screen, SMSS and Internet capabilities.

My question: I really doubt I'll be using the wireless web and email capabilities of my phone, but she may need to be able to receive emails from work if they start putting her on 24 hour support call. How well does email work on these newer phones?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've only seen it done first hand with a nokia 3650, and I was very impressed, the screen on that thing is big enough to not be a pain in the ass to read your messages, and it's laid out pretty well.

I also saw a blackberry device do it, which had a lot more screen space and was more natural, but it lacked a color screen.
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Blackberrys are cool, but using one as a phone is like talking into a bagel.

Luckily, she won't need to send (or even reply) to emails - just receive them.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's amazing how you adapt to working with txt messaging and such on a cell phone.

I never had a cell until a couple months ago, and I never sent a txt message before, now I'm adept at them and send them really quickly.

I saw a phone, I forget the model, I think it was a nokia, that had alphabet keys in-between the number keys, looked like a very functional design, a little bit wide, but stil useable.

www.sidetalkin.com :cool:
  5. I receive e-mail on my Nokia 6360. I don't receive graphics or attachments, just basic text. I have an e-mail address for the phone, but I normally receive my e-mail on my PC and have mail from select friends and business associates forwarded to the cell phone through Outlook. The phone model isn't current state of the art, but it works for me.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Back when I was in high school my cell phone had email capability. My phone had it's own email account, and it was setup similar to a POP account. It could only display text, but reading email was pretty easy. You could even adjust the text size.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I used the Nokia 3300 for a couple months, it was great. The e-mail feature is slick. They charge .10 to send an e-mail, receiving was free.

8. BaByBlUeBaSs05

BaByBlUeBaSs05 Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    Yeah,my nokia can send emails also (i don't know about the numbers after it,heh) but I just use the computer,unless I'm bored or something,walking home from school,and I'll email my cousins and friends,or prank call them...heh
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    ROFLMAO! I think Maxwell Smart would have taken the bagel phone anyday!

Seriously, though, I use a plain 'ol cell phone to receive emails. I use email aliases to direct markmobile@secretdonkey.com and markmobile@(work).com addresses to my phone. Shortcomings are that SMS limits message length (IME, anyway) and the sender needs to be aware that anything after 150 characters or so will be truncated. Also, while using predictive typing feature on a phone keypad works impressively well, responding can still be a chore.