Cell phones..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mark beem, Jun 25, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I was just wondering if anyone here has opted to terminate their land line service and decided to go strictly wireless..

I work in the telecom industry so I'm really curious.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i did when i had my house, now i live with my girlfriend and she has a landline and cell
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im 16....i have a cell....but i have no choice to get rid of teh landline....my mom's house
  4. I am not a big phone guy...if I lived by myself,I'd prob just get a house phone...and thats it.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't have a cell phone, and I hope I can put it off for some time. I already spend too much money in the communications sector.

It's still too expensive, and the high prices in Germany will not drop, since the companies paid ridiculous amounts of money for UMTS licences.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I negotiated with my wife to terminate our land line phone when we switched from DSL to cable modem internet service. She admitted she was just too weirded out by the idea of not having a landline phone.

Our phone service is at THE absolute minimum, however (dual income, no kid household). We are using a "measured" plan and are allotted a certain number of outgoing calls each month. No long distance service, no features like call waiting or caller ID.

The only thing that line gets used for is to take calls from telemarketers and acquaintances without our cell numbers who look us up in the phone book. I'll occasionally use it to make 800 number calls to support lines where I expect to be on hold for a long time... that's about it.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I used to operate without a landline, but since I live with my girlfriend now we do have one. She operates her own business, and even with a great cellular phone plan, she makes A LOT of phone calls. It's cheaper to make residential calls from the landline.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A European without a mobile? Good heavens! :)

Seriously, how much are service charges there?
  9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    My own line is essentially on my cell. My house has a landline but thats not my personal line, its everyone's line.
  10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, I'm officially a freak now :p

Seriously, it's not THAT expensive, but I'm on a tight budget and I don't really need it.

You can get a cell phone service for 20 Euro per month, plus 30 to 45 cents per minute, 3 cents per minute into land line, sms for 20 cents each.

This includes a phone like the Nokia 3510 or up to 300 Euro off a higherend phone.
    Minimum service duration is 24 months.
  11. When I move into my new apartment with my roommates, I'll probably use my cell phone exclusively, unless the coverage sucks real hard.

I figure, since I never really use up all my minutes each month, I might as well keep on using it. But if my roommates want to get a landline, then I'll probably use it from time to time, like if my cell phone battery is dead, or something like that.
  12. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My friends who share an apartment have a phone that's restricted to incoming calls only, so that there won't be no fuzz about who calls the most and stuff like that... They use their cellphones for outgoing calls.
  13. When I moved into my own apartment I never even considered getting a land line. Had my cell, and land lines are bloody expensive here...
  14. the house i'm in now has a landline, i'm moving to an apartment next week and we (3 of us) all got cellphones instead of getting a landline for the new place.
  15. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The only use for a landline I have is internet connection.
  16. We're debating doing this in our new place. The landline is just a waste of money at this point.
  17. A friend of mine went cell-only until his apartment building got renovated and they put in a security entry system that uses the regular phones. He had to get a land line in order to be able to let people in remotely.

18. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    <-----hasnt had a land line in 4 years.
  19. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    wow.....I have actually never thought about not having a landline....My parents have one, but I don't think I will get one in the future now that I think about it. The line gets used a lot, but most of the calls aren't for me, so a cell would work fine.....if I had one.
  20. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    with the onset of companies like cricket making the other carriers (like the one i work for) get more competitive, it doesnt make sense NOT to have one. I mean you can tell a customer that cricket will only pick up one in two times you use it, but they see unlimited usage for 29.99 they jump. hell you can get a thousand min. for 40 bucks now. nationwide. integrated into a pda.

now add cable modem to taste, presto change-o

comunications redefined.