Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cellists

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiro, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I love the sound of the cello. I am 19. I heard you have to start young. Is it possible to be a good cellist if you start as an adult?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You might want to try this on the DB side, there are a couple guys who double on cello. Also, google for cello forums, there's a couple good ones out there.

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Im thinking of teaching myself cello

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too, I'd love to learn to play, but I can barely fit the basses (3 with one more coming up) and guitars and amps in my tiny room - and my neighbours and family would be quite mad at me :meh:

As for the age, I've been told the same by some, but I don't care. I don't want to learn to play the cello to be a professional cellist living off playing cello, but because I like the tone and the sound of it.

5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    i play cello and yes you can learn really well

6. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    It's possible... If you play upright bass, I think it will be much easier to do because you would be used to using a bow. If not, that will take some getting used to. Anyway, it can be done, just depends on how much time you put in. Good Luck!

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Teachers are a life saver with instruments. It will be far more rewarding IMO, if you get a teacher for at least the very beginning.

I did play cello for 3 years-i dropped playing so that i could pursue bass further [was start of high school]. I would like to relearn how to play and to buy a good cello eventually-being able to double on: cello, string bass, and bass guitar would be fun.

That's all

8. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    From what I can tell, people regard the cello as a particularly difficult instrument. Is there any truth in that, or did I just imagine the whole thing in my head?

9. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    no it is pretty hard but once you get it it get's easier