Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cello and Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by EvilBassPlayer, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Hi community!

I've been playing bass for over 5 years, using 4 and 5 strings basses almost all my time playing. Im very loyal to my instrument and I practice every day, like any good bassist ;)

Someday, listening an Apocalyptica CD, i figured out that I love the sound of Cello and must be a great instrument to play (besides bass), so, im excited with the idea of buying a Cello and take some lessons, what do you think? weird, uh?

I grow up with the idea that bass players always choose Upright when they look for something more "classy", because it's closer to their main instrument or the opposite.

My question: Im really doing the right thing? Learning to play an instrument that shares nothing with electric bass? :confused:

Thank you for take your time and read this!

EBP

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    If you want it, you should definitely go for it!

3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Play whatever you want. Aside from bass i play guitar, keyboard, and the freaking drums for crying out loud. As long as you are making a good sounding racket you are at no fault.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Actually, i've always thogh the cello was closer to the electric bass than the doghouse. I also think the saxaphone is a close match.

5. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    this has nothing to do with this at all...but....the cello in my opinion is the most sexiest instrument out there. i wont have to get into detail here..but im sure could agree. peace
    Chad

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I played cello in middle school cause the orch. director said my hands were to small to play doghouse. He also told me in feel the cello is closer-about the same scale & string gauge. The thing that messed me up most in 7th and 8th grade when i was playin both-cello in orch. then bass [electric] in jazz band was that the 4ths vs. 5th tuning would throw me off. I do think that the cello has a wonderful sound to it though. Since you play electric bass already the steps/half steps will come more easily. Find a teacher and go at it-it's fun but i had to drop it to take classes where i can play bass. thats all

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Both Jack Bruce anbd Oscar Pettiford are (were) known for playing cello.

If you want to, go for it.

8. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    cello isn't closer to electric bass. i went from upright to electric, and it was just like turning my upright sideways. the fingering is the same basically. there's no frets on upright, just positions. and cellos have different open strings. but cello's cool... i hate how everyone calls the upright bass a cello though damn it.

fenderjazzcam, you must have really tiny hands, cuz i started upright when i wwwaasss.... 12. i'm 15 (16 june 2nd!) and i think i'm pretty damn good at upright, even better than i am on electric =)

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The cello has always been my favorite instrument of the violin family. They're just so expressive and have that rich yet not muddy sound.

I say go for it.

10. Also Ron Carter. ;)

Evil bass, why would you or we think it's weird to want to play the cello? I think it's got one of the most beautiful voices out there, bar none. Nothing like hearing the Christmas tune, "God rest Ye merry gentlemen," on cello. Wow!

Mike J.

11. Well, it's not something that really bothers me, but looks like there are so different, starting from the way to play it to the music style you play with it.

I play mainly metal on electric bass (I own my 5 string exclusively for THAT), I always loved metal. I play, live, eat for metal (yeah! im nuts). So this feeling of being atracted by the sound of Cello, and a need to learn how to play, wow, imagine that!:D

I think Im getting old :eek: :D

12. Think of what it will do for your ears.
    Get the Cello and get a bow.

Pretty soon you will be breaking strings trying to tune your BG in 5ths.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, maybe the URB is similar in fingering? though I bet you'd get a lot of debate in the basement (DB side :D) -but thet cello does the same thing for people in terms of sound that an electric bass does when playing a melody line. -Same as a tenor or alto saxaphone. IMO.

14. Thanks for the support!

Bassist are more open-minded that guitarrist or drummers I see.

Think, my drummer and guitarrist, both school friends, say that im screwing it up.

Drummer: "Cello?!?! Apocalyptica fried your brain or what?!?"

Guitarrist: "You want something with class? play guitar, ha ha ha!"

How I hate guitarrists!!!

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You're 1 day older than me.
    It didn't make sense to me, i had bigger hands than someone he said did have big enough hands to play it & he said i had more than strong enough hands. When i said cello is closer to eletric i'm thinkin he ment in sheer size and string size vs just turnin a bit, but yeah e-bass to upright is essentially goin at a different angle. Now i play electric & upright [3/4] & wish he woulda had me play upright so i'd be farther in technique-oh well. thats all

16. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Wow, you just take any opprotunity to tell people that you play upright also, huh? :p

Uhh, IMO, cello rocks....yup not very helpful. But good luck!

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    cello has its place in metal.

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    try tuning your 4 string in 5ths. it's fun!!!

i've been playing doghouse for 10 years, and i still don't like it :) i like playing cello alot more.

19. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I say go for it! The cello is such a beautiful instrument. The cello actually influences my bass-playing, in terms of passion and sound.

Tony Levin plays electric cello on his albums. You should check em out. :)

Good luck!
    Stephanie

20. I have a friend who plays cello, so I always try to play it. It really is a really nice sounding instrument. I play upright and electric and electric bass is really just the upright turned sideways. It just like having a big fretless bass...only it's upright. Also contrary to popular belief the cell is more like the viola since it is tuned the same way, but an octave lower. The bass is closer to the violin because it's tuned the same, only bass strings are tuned (from highest to lowest)gdae and a violins strings are eadg. Yeah it's messed up. I dunno I'm only 14.
    btw if any body cares I got a spiffy new bass bow.