Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cello bridge on bass guitar

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by x4x, Jan 8, 2004.

1. x4x

x4x

May 10, 2003
    Erps-Kwerps
    I ran across this fact at another post, and i'm quite interested in it.

I'm considdering to learn how to play my bass with a (cello)bow. But one of the 'problems' is the flat radius. Someone mentioning he considderd building in an old broken cello bridge to get a better radius for bow playing. Can this be done? And if you do, doesn't the neck need any adjuctments? Or maybe my most important question HAS this been done? and if it has, any info, websites, images and more are more then welcome

thank you!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Recommendation: electric upright bass. Some are as small as a bass guitar, have regular bass pickups, and can be strapped just like a regular bass. Everthing is ready to go and ready to be bowed.

If you add a cello-like bridge to a regular bass, you would also need a silimarly-radiused fretboard to match, no?

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Eric's right. You would need a radiused fretboard, and it would need to be tilted back or adjusted in some way, because the cello bridge would raise the strings considerably. The pickups would also need to have a radius, one that would probably be greater than you could get by merely adjusting the pole pieces.

You might consider a Zeta Crossover bass, which is kind of a combination of bass guitar and electric upright.

I replied in your other thread, btw.